Linux Mint 21.1....LOVE IT!!!....goodbye Windblows!

So I have been running Linux Mint for quite some time now, keep in mind that I am by no means a Linux knowledge base lol. I know nothing about it and find the more techy side of it very hard to navigate. By techy side I mean I have no idea what flatpaks are, how to use terminal without looking up what commands to use and I never remember them because I rarely ever use it. Other things like getting used to settings changes and the like have been a time earned education. But! I didn't give up, I can find most of the settings I need and now am used to the fact that it is not Windows, it doesn't run Windows software and probably never will (I've tried running WINE, it flat out sucks and doesn't work 99.9% of the time lol), and isn't as easily fine tunable as Windows in terms of you can't just do lots of little things like move desktop icons wherever you want and they stay where you drop them, you can't just change folder names by clicking on the name and it automatically highlights the text portion allowing you to change the name. No, Linux is not that way, you have to tell it you want to change the name and the little things are not exactly there to the same effect. Some sacrifices need to be made though and here's why...you have full control over what and when you update or upgrade your operating system and it's addons, apps, programs etc. It is worlds above Windows in performance, easily 10x more secure and doesn't require you to waste bandwidth to support a constantly changing promotional ads based operating system turning your PC as a home invaded ad campaign. Unlike Windblows, it will not update without your permission. With Windblows, you don't have any say unless you get some sort of customized script made to give you back some ownership to your operating system. I have tried those though and many of them will break your comp or muff it up enough that it won't run the same ever again. Also, Linux Mint uses a backup feature called Time Shift where it does a system snapshot in case you need to revert back to before an update or upgrade. Windows has that option but you need to supply a backup hard drive to do it and you have to keep updating it if you want the most recent best working operating system backed up. Linux does it automatically on your currently installed drive like how Windows 7 used to do it. Jeez, the more I type in here, the more I realize how absolutely superior Linux Mint is over Windows :)

Anywho, moving on to my preferred flavor of Linux, Linux Mint, I have found it to be just a really great all round replacement to Windows. It has a very familiar appearance as a proper desktop environment should, it works every time and rarely needs to be rebooted after updates have been installed whereas Windows wants a reboot after almost every update...lame...and I have found it to be far more stable than Windows. Windows has crashed on me so many times, destroyed the original hard drive my laptop by running it too aggressively to perform its forced updates, and even after updating, Windows still crashes regularly on that laptop. Linux Mint has never once crashed on me and I have been running it for about 5 years now. This newest version of Mint has really made some significant changes and boy does it run well! I'm sold, no more Windblows for me unless I have absolutely no choice but to use it. Oh, and the best part of Linux is that it's not only 100% free, but you can install it and bounce back and forth between using it or Windows. It will do a sideloaded installation so you get to keep your Windows for whatever you need and still run Linux as your primary operating system. It's really nice to have a solidly secure option to Windows and Mac <--barf lol

And this BS hard push by MS to cram MS edge down your throat like it or not!

I have not seen anything that aggressive from MS in a while.

All new builds here get shutup10 installed and/or privatezilla. I kill microsoft stuff before it ever leaves my bench!

And this BS hard push by MS to cram MS edge down your throat like it or not!

I have not seen anything that aggressive from MS in a while.

All new builds here get shutup10 installed and/or privatezilla. I kill microsoft stuff before it ever leaves my bench!

I love the couple of responses on this one lol...nothing negative to say about the software you pointed out, but nothing good about MS lol

The newest edition of it is really fast and just a pleasure to use. I'm totally sold on the Mint, I love everything about it now that I'm used to using it. It's my daily driver, I use it for online transactions where I totally don't trust ms crap to let me keep my confidential information to myself. MS is the spyware now. But I have literally had zero issues with Linux Mint...windblows however... constantly having issues.

Yea man MS is whizzing me off! This massive edge push!

If you weren't set up with privatezilla and/or OOS shutup 10 then it just slammed you like it or not.

Trying to get to a Mint install this week!

I just finished getting win10 installed on the gf's new to her older laptop. The laptop itself is a really good machine and quite fast, after updating win10 the most recent one, now when I shutdown the OS closes but doesn't turn off the power to the system. So now to shut it down I have to hold the power button until it actually shuts itself off. It didn't do that before I updated the dam os. This is the kind of nonsense I keep encountering with ms. Ever since they migrated away from the traditional style of no ads, you buy the os and you own the OS, you get to have full control over the os...Windows 7 anyone?? ....things have gone from bad to worse. It seems that almost every update now comes with a new problem, every feature update comes with a lot of new problems and the focus is no longer on having a well established and well functioning OS. It's all about prioritizing their spyware and remote location control over your OS. I'm so glad I found Linux Mint when I had to buy my first Windows 10 based laptop. I resisted it until I had no choice, then after much researching I landed on Mint and never looked back. FerenOS is a really nice one too but lacks the community and overall support that Mint has, still a really well put together OS though :)

Although I do get annoyed by a Windows PC that has not been setup by a techie.....a properly setup PC with all of that non sense disabled is unbeatable IMO.

I haven't had ANY updates in YEARS approaching a decade. 7, 10, and 11.

Unfortunately though you have to know a little to stop all of it. They don't just make it as easy as they SHOULD!

Top Bottom