Super Jet Dual 44's on my 701?

Its all about the surf!
I want to try some dual 44's on my 701. I have a line on a set of 44 Black Jacks from a racer friend of mine but I need the manifold. Is the manifold a completely aftermarket part? (who makes them?) or is there another make Yamaha that uses dual 44's with the 701 motor?

BruceSki

Formerly Motoman25
I don't see if you have 61x or 62t cases.

760 manifold and reeds(better than metal 62t ones) bolts right up to 62t cases.

Only thing you'll have to do is drill another pulse line for dual fuel pumps.

JetManiac

Stoked
Site Supporter
Vendor Account
I want to try some dual 44's on my 701. I have a line on a set of 44 Black Jacks from a racer friend of mine but I need the manifold. Is the manifold a completely aftermarket part? (who makes them?) or is there another make Yamaha that uses dual 44's with the 701 motor?

Based on what I know about your riding and posts, I would recommend staying with oem dual 38s.
You are going to spend alot of time and money with little or no benefit. If you want to upgrade, try VF2 reeds or porting your cylinder first.

Oem dual carb linkage and setups much more reliable for a surf rider. Bigger carbs only make more power if your motor and pipe will flow more to match them.

Its all about the surf!
Oem dual carb linkage and setups much more reliable for a surf rider. Bigger carbs only make more power if your motor and pipe will flow more to match them.

Jet (Its Chris right?)
The reason I wanted to try this combo is because I had the opportunity to ride with Art Gomez of Jet works a while back. I know Art well. Art shows up with an old race ski that hit and pulled twice as hard as my ski.
My set up is; [OEM 701 (no porting) OEM Head (I don't know my Compression) from a 2010 SJ, Mod B pipe and OEM Taper bored dual 38's].
Art swore to me the ski he had was identical to mine except it had dual 44 Blackjacks. Since my racer friend already has the dual 44 blackjacks, which he will let me try out for free, I thought I would give it a go. Only thing is he doesn't have the manifold. Could it be I got spanked because my motor is just tired and not performing like it should? It has a lot of Hrs on it. What are your thoughts?

Last edited:

waxhead

wannabe backflipper
The 44s will make alot more torque its been proven over and over again.
The taper bored 38s are not a good option on the yamaha 38s. it make them finicky to tune due to the fact that the air was never meant to flow past the jets in the way it does when you remove the boss in the carb. if you want taper bored 38s then get hold of some seadoo ones and do that. other wise pick up some 760 44s and enjoy the extra torque from your engine

JetManiac

Stoked
Site Supporter
Vendor Account
Jet (Its Chris right?)
The reason I wanted to try this combo is because I had the opportunity to ride with Art Gomez of Jet works a while back. I know Art well. Art shows up with an old race ski that hit and pulled twice as hard as my ski.
My set up is; [OEM 701 (no porting) OEM Head (I don't know my Compression) from a 2010 SJ, Mod B pipe and OEM Taper bored dual 38's].
Art swore to me the ski he had was identical to mine except it had dual 44 Blackjacks. Since my racer friend already has the dual 44 blackjacks, which he will let me try out for free, I thought I would give it a go. Only thing is he doesn't have the manifold. Could it be I got spanked because my motor is just tired and not performing like it should? It has a lot of Hrs on it. What are your thoughts?

Your ski's performance results from tuning all of the individual components as a system
(or at least it should be). How well parts are matched and tuned as a system is the most important thing. Throwing one component at a ski isnt the way to go. You should have a plan.

Comparing 2 skis as identical except for the carbs is questionable.
Same ignitions and timing, props, nozzles, pipes, reeds, heads, etc., etc.??
Same pipe tuning, same compression and squish, same level of carb tuning, etc., etc.??

"My set up is"
OEM 701 (no porting) with OEM Head (I don't know my Compression) from a 2010 SJ
Mod B pipe
OEM Taper bored dual 38's

So if your motor is from 2010 SJ, then you have a std. 62t cases/61x cylinder with dual 38s setup?
Taperbored carbs with or w/o original verturi?
Carbs jetted and tuned properly for your setup?

What are your goals? I assume more low end power for surf riding not top end to keep up with race skis.

A/M head to raise compression and tighten squish is one easy way to increase power of your setup.
Ignition stock or timing advanced at all?
Stock reeds?

Properly matched and setup dual 44s can make great power but I was just questioning this mod as the best and most cost effective option for a basically stock ski.

High Speed Industries

Your one stop shop for quality parts @highspeedind
I should of had you ride my ski when were down at Oside. I think our setups are pretty close but I'm not sure how close. Switching to dual 44s really woke up my ski, it burns more fuel but it can still handle Oside rides. As listed above what does your whole setup consist of? If you are looking to go 44 I'd just find a set of 760 carbs. 760s come with 44s stock and they have the manifold to put them on your cases. If you want to go with an aftermarket manifold Riva or R&D seems to be the best bang for the buck.

Man, What a mixture of opinions.
My old set up was this:
Xscream Ported cylinder and cases stock 701 bore.
Bpipe with bored head pipe.
ADA head with pump gas domes.
MSD Enhancer.
Protec 44's on Riva manifold.

You rode this motor in my freak two years ago. It hit harder in that light hull but it was pretty impressive even in my old SJ hull. I originally ran it with 38's. The 44's woke it up BIG TIME. However, I tend to agree with Chris that the carbs wouldn't be my first purchase. However, if you have access to some Blackjacks you might as well try them. I would at least do a head and advance the timing a little too. Riva wide spaced manifolds like mine are pretty cheap used and will work well.

You would probably notice the biggest improvement by getting ride of some weight! (I'm talking about your ski not you)

Its all about the surf!
Thanks everyone for the input, I like different opinions, its good that we have our own personal think tank at our disposal. I haven't decided which way I will go but at least I know the options now. This has been a big help!

Top Bottom