Yamasaki 701SX

550headache

tobacco grower
Well, I shredded a tire about 10 miles into my 75 mile to Vermont. A few phone calls and a great friend later i made it back home. Couldn’t get the tire off to swap with the spare it was so shredded! Ski in my bed and trailer in his bed. Sucky day yesterday!

Going to put the coupler cover on today. Thanks for the advise!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

550headache

tobacco grower
No going to Vermont today. Old homes weekend up there. It’s every decade. Closed down rt9 and 100 for 5 miles. My neighbor said the lake is crazier then 4th of July! It’s 11 miles long. Don’t look like ill be dipping the ski today! Maybe go tho the river tomorrow…

550headache

tobacco grower
Took the ski out Sunday. Worked all the bugs out of it! Absolutely is one bas ass girl! Pulls better then my buddy’s FX1! Only problem I’m getting some water intrusion. No idea where.. I’m going to fill the hull with water and see if its leaking out/in somewhere. Hopefully its just a bad hood seal! I dont think my stock bilge is working either. Maybe a mud dobber nest in there from sitting a decade without a pump in it. Or the pin hole in the anti siphon thing is clogged. We will find out soon hopefully.

Any updates on yours sexpanther?

I spoke with Robin. I didn’t specify when i ordered the kit i was also doing a 750 pump conversion. If i had he would had sent me a milled down engine coupler to allow the motor to slide further back. SUPER nice guy! He put the correct one in the mail within a hour I had a tracking number free of charge even though it was my bad. Will definitely do business with him again! Thanks for all the brainstorming responses! Should have it Tuesday. Too bad I’m in Conn and the ski is in Vermont!

Well, I think I may have the exact problem you did with the coupler.. perhaps ordering the 750 pump kit with the 701 conversion and the ada coupler selected is not enough information for Robin to know I’m using them together. Maybe I’m missing something. Splines seem all the way seated in my impeller. image.jpg

550headache

tobacco grower
I used Rhaas for the bed kit and black market for the pump conversion. The pump conversion went super smooth! I’d buy from them again even tho its a bit more money.

550headache

tobacco grower
Took the ski out Sunday. Worked all the bugs out of it! Absolutely is one bas ass girl! Pulls better then my buddy’s FX1! Only problem I’m getting some water intrusion. No idea where.. I’m going to fill the hull with water and see if its leaking out/in somewhere. Hopefully its just a bad hood seal! I dont think my stock bilge is working either. Maybe a mud dobber nest in there from sitting a decade without a pump in it. Or the pin hole in the anti siphon thing is clogged. We will find out soon hopefully.

Any updates on yours sexpanther?

Figured it out!
I have surf jet Louie tubbies on it. On the exhaust side the tubbie had a gap in it on the bottom chine. The 5200 pulled out! I’m sure at speed it was opening up and scooping the water in.
I re patched it. Hopefully it holds till the end of season. Then ill remove them, foam the inside(should have done that first!) and reinstall them with bolts(not screws) and bond them in! Glad I didn’t lose it!

550headache

tobacco grower
Every time i called he picked up. Maybe he has COVID! That’s the general excuse everyone uses these days! Ohh, because of COVID…….BLA BLA BLA..
I had a good experience with him and he jumped right on it and sent me the correct coupler that day express shipping. I’d say get some regular couplers and try that. At least on the engine side!

Has anyone run the breadbox pipe with this swap? Super close but hits ebox with it on that side. I flopped ebox mount but it looks like my battery won’t fit with it that way. Thoughts? Maybe cut down the bracket behind ebox mounting bracket? image.jpg

550headache

tobacco grower
Sweet! I used a stock 650SX pipe with a factory pipe manifold works and fits well.

Make sure you give us a update as soon as you ride!

There was this whole thing about putting a chip in the Ford 7.3 PSD engine. But it seemed to me from reading the threads at Ford-Trucks.com that it could create a non-linear throttle response. And I drive on ice allot, so I was afraid of a kind of turbo effect kicking in and breaking the tires loose, so I never installed a chip.

I have been similarly afraid of adding a pipe to a jet ski engine. So, this statement makes me want to inquire about what you mean @kevbo and @SexPanther:

"The older I get the less I like riding with a good pipe."
Sorry it took me 100 years to respond to this.

My thoughts are this.. Take them with a grain of salt as I am a much better pilot than tuner.

I have ridden 701 powered Superjet’s with only a pipe that will rip your arms off and blow your mind. Solid reliable power where you need it. I have also ridden 701 SJs with enhancer, head, and pipe that are absolutely slow and the owner just doesn’t have any experience to contrast it with.

I personally came from the 550 sx platform and had all kinds of sweet parts that maybe didn’t work so well together. I rode screwy sherbet’s 550’s and realized I did not have it figured out. Specifically a Shan Dobson built sx that I swear is faster than most 800 SXR’s.

Tuning is so important. My 2017 SJ just ran really well out of the box. To me, the way I like to surf waves, your ski idling really well and coming off that bottom end is really imperative. Stock trim is totally consistent anreliable. And I don’t really love getting destroyed by Mid Winter Surf in Grayland so that was ideal, and a great contrast to the 440 powered 550sx I came from.

As for the first ride. It was extremely brief due to some pump alignment concerns combined with having not used adhesive to secure the pump shoe yet. No ride plate, no scoop grate. Basically just wanted to know if my 701 still ran.
First off, stock 701 exhaust is not ideal for clearance. Going to require moving the stock hood tubes and ducting extensively. Major vibration during test ride. Might be sorted but still need to pad around waterbox so that is possibly the source of continued vibration. I did cut the battery box as suggested.

that said.

It is a certified rocket ship.

Yeeeehaaawww power in a JS hull.

do it.

I also love this kit. RHAAS is good. Not fast, but good.

Last edited:
Top Bottom