Other What did you fab up today? A thread for the home fabricators!

OCD Solutions

Original, Clean and Dependable Solutions
Site Supporter
Vendor Account
We seem to have a pretty handy group of guys who are always fabbing up something so rather than blow up the other threads, how about a spot to post up the side projects that we all want to share?

I recently completed a Grizzly G0704 Mill CNC conversion but still have tons of little things to build and tinker with. First on my list has been a proper misting system to cool and lubricate my bits during bigger cuts. Since they want $350 for $100 of parts, I chose to build my own. The reservoir was the easy part but it took me several attempts before I was able to come up with a working mixing valve.

It finally came to me last night and this is what I ended up with this morning;

e435a5a97db28418c8ddaee42a7ab054.jpg

dd517f887d32f5a327287648bf120132.jpg

No pictures, it's in the other shop, but I built a rotary draw tubing bender. From scrap. (disclaimer: the dies came from a standard press bender. The plates to make them rotary draw were fabbed.)

I've also built (more than 7 versions, each one refined, but all functional) english wheels. I've also fabbed 3 planishing hammers, consisting of air chisel's as the main ingredient, and snow plow skids as the table.

English wheel dies consist of everything from milled trailer balls to harbor freight cast castors.

Necessity is the mother of invention.

OCD, you can fab up a nice "enclosure" (at least walls) with some lexan (bent by heat) and some magetic socket holders. One of my CNC knee mills was making a mess with coolant, and that's what I did. They are there when you want, and gone when don't.

OCD Solutions

Original, Clean and Dependable Solutions
Site Supporter
Vendor Account
That's a great idea! I have a 3'x5' sheet of 1/16" HDPE I was going to cut up and form something but hadn't considered using magnets for retaining it. I don't have room for a full enclosure but I need something to keep the chips out of everything else on the bench around my machine.

The fogger will be considerably less mess than a flood coolant system but I will still need to do something to keep the chips out of everything else on my bench.

McDog

Other Administrator
Staff member
Pablo did it with lexan on his backie chan.....

But fwiw, I filled a space that big on a freak with silicone and it held for years. Go figure. It's worth a try. It won't damage your prop if it comes loose.

@ lithium battery behind e box fab....

just a little recommendation to save your TL brain in case your battery decides to burn up , I would add a solid plate between battery and e box.....cant see if your e box is metal or plastic....

OCD, here's what I did. Magnetic tool holder with steel back, welded a retainer onto it, and done.
(ignore the cute, photo bombing dog, obviously she thought I was holding something fun for her!)
magnet.JPG mag3.JPG

Pablo

sqeez bth levrs & lean bk
Site Supporter
Where do find lexan that thick?

I found my lexan off eBay. Bought a scrap sheet piece like 24"x24"X1/4" for $30 or so. I epoxied two pieces together and dremelled it to fit the recess. Prolly took 1/2 hour or so.

I originally bought it to make TL plates and a battery box. Works great for that and easy to fab/glue/drill/shave. Doesn't shatter or crack easy, non conductive and won't corrode.

I'm in for 20. Doesn't matter on length as long as the ass end of it is intact. What's your paypal?

Top Bottom