Spex Lite EPP beads for refoaming

I'm in the process of cutting up my tray to re-foam and I've been reading through all the threads looking for options. EPP sounds like the ticket and I found a company selling EPP beads. Spex Lite 5524B EPP beads. Has anyone tried these yet? Think they'd work? Price is $125 for 56 liters. You'd need a screen on any hull drain to keep the beads in but I don't think that's a huge problem.

spexlite2.png

Quinc

Buy a Superjet
That beats the hell out of cutting and shaping foam to fit! You might ask for a sample first and keep it submerged for a few weeks to see how they hold up. I have seen pool noodles become saturated with water and deteriorate.

OCD Solutions

Original, Clean and Dependable Solutions
Site Supporter
Vendor Account
Good find! These have been discussed a few times over the years but sourcing them was always the issue. Well, that and if you did find them, they were crazy expensive.

Man this place is right near my house. I may have to go in and see if I can get my hands on the two different EPP's. Slightly different sizes but different average bulk densities???

I ordered them and got 'em in already. I'm not sure if 56L is gonna be enough to fill everything but we'll see once I get down to it. They're really static-y but they said static spray will calm them down. They're a bit squishy and not too firm but I think you can probably really pack them in there. I took a few and squished them under water and they came back up dry. I think I'm gonna take some and submerge them and see how long they stay dray. Now I gotta cut the tray out and gouge out the foam.

I've got a set of Tom21 footholds so I think my plan is to first fit the footholds, then cut the tray and sides out all as one piece. Something like this, although after I have the footholds roughed in

PXL_20230103_005932502a.jpg

Does that make sense?

tom21

havin fun
The only thing that might give you trouble that I can think of is the tray being weak and breaking. Might consider reinforcing it to support your weight since the foam won't be there. Not sure if plan to graft the tray back in or go full reglass with it. Just understand that the foam is flotation and support. Sorry if I'm stating the obvious.

The only thing that might give you trouble that I can think of is the tray being weak and breaking. Might consider reinforcing it to support your weight since the foam won't be there. Not sure if plan to graft the tray back in or go full reglass with it. Just understand that the foam is flotation and support. Sorry if I'm stating the obvious.
That's definitely a concern I have. I had originally planned on grafting the tray back in but I've since got a set of Tigercraft footholds, so now I plan on widening the tray. I wasn't sure how tight I could get the beads packed in there and if they'd offer a similar support to foam. The more I've thought about it, the more I'm thinking I may just use the beads with foam as a binder. So there'd still be foam, but hopefully enough less that when it starts to absorb water, it isn't enough to really worry about.

WFO Speedracer

A lifetime ban is like a lifetime warranty !
On one ski I am rebuilding I robbed floatation foam out of a Kawasaki TS 650 that blew up and separated the two hull halves, yes it was that violent, yes it blew the rider off the ski, luckily no one was hurt and I was contacted to get the ski out of their yard, I think I gave her $250.00 for the ski and the trailer, driveline in the ski was in good shape, hull was toast, the really weird part is that the molded foam pieces from the TS fit into the chines on the ski like it was made for it, they are polystyrene.

Top Bottom