replacing engine mounts in 2008 Superjet

Hi guys.

I blew the engine mounts in my superjet, so I'm changing them out. Bought 4 new rhaaas mounts from JM.
Started looking around and came across this video, but then I was reading online that starting in 2008, yamaha incorporated a 5th engine mount? Anyone know anything about this? Or any pointers/tips/tricks to get this done right? probably doesn't matter but I have a b-pipe as well.

Thanks!

Or any pointers/tips/tricks to get this done right? probably doesn't matter but I have a b-pipe as well.
If it were me, I’d pull the engine and ebox, to replace mounts with lots of working space. That way you can clean the threads and loctite the bolts in again. I’d also switch to socket cap screws while you have it apart (preference). Realignment (motor pto side and midshaft) is the thing that takes time to get right when it’s all going back together. Pretty sure there are lots of threads on that.

Big Kahuna

Administrator
Roman, they are talking about the dampner that is directly under the motor. Dont worry about it. Align the engine the way they show in the video. (if correct, not watching it).

Wow I can't believe people are still trying anything other than OEM!

Jeesh people need to speak up!
Speak up about what? I went with rhaas thinking and being told they are the best. You think oem couch mounts are still superior? Genuine questions

Lets just say this...they crumble all at once and take out expensive stuff with them.

OEM's fail one at a time after quite a long time and give you a warning if you are paying attention.

That is me being nice.

Another way to say it is they suck ssssssssssssssssuuuuuuuuuuper bad and what good is a lifetime warranty on garbage that costs WAY more in the long run....check that...the short run!

Big Kahuna

Administrator
Now you will hear from a bunch of flatwater cruiser types that, "have had zero issues!". LOL.
I destroyed 2 mounts at Blues back in June that had 3 rides on them. September Test Ride & Break In (New Mounts) (30 minutes max), Southern Fried Freeride (About 1 hour late friday afternoon, then rode saturday, Daytona Freeride (No Surf this past year - so easy riding), 1 Trip to the Lake - 30 minutes, Blues Birthday Bash, 2 days of hard riding and many failed backy's and rolls. I was rough as hell on them and they failed. But yes, they were OEM. But I take full responsibility. No way in hell I am going to run Rhass mounts, tried Monkey Grips, they not much worse than OEM. Would run them before any AM mounts.

Well if they fail in too short of a time I’ll update this thread. I’m not a pro but We’ll see if they last…..maybe that will be what kills them? Lol. Worst case if they are bad I’ll get new ones and sell them to the next sucker lol

schicks

Karma Enforcer
Get rid of that "5th mount". Ive seen that rubber wear the bottom of sj hull super thin before.
Oem couch mounts for the win. I had rhass mounts, broke them several time, they replaced several times, then i sold the new set for oem. I thought rhass or aftermarket mounts increased vibrations from engine as well (yes properly aligned). Went couch mounts and never had an issue since, 5 years ago.

Get rid of that "5th mount". Ive seen that rubber wear the bottom of sj hull super thin before.
Oem couch mounts for the win. I had rhass mounts, broke them several time, they replaced several times, then i sold the new set for oem. I thought rhass or aftermarket mounts increased vibrations from engine as well (yes properly aligned). Went couch mounts and never had an issue since, 5 years ago.
Agreed get rid of that center mount, those belong in the couches that have SMC engine plates.

Oem couch mounts is the only way to go!

I remember when I quickly trashed my first and only set of rhass and people here suggested I turn them in for a new set and then sell the new set but I am not that guy so they went right in the trash can.
What kind of stuff were you doing in what kind of hull and how long did they last? I think the Yamasaki conversion mounts in my 550 hull are a different dimension than oem Superjet mounts which is what I’ve always run in the surf. I’m just wondering if I should preemptively order a backup set from Rhaas for surf trips.

Top Bottom