SXR Port Timing?

Dude take a trip up and ride a few of our skis. Getting the cases filled and flow right is a bigger improv. And total loss isn't all you think it is. We eat breath and sleep Kawi. We know these things.

I like what he did with the exhaust port. I agree on what garcass says about flywheel. 6° of advance added with new timing curves of Advent might not be good for your pistons. TBM is nice and light where it counts but pricey. T/L on a Kawi isnt good for much imo.

Last edited:
I like what he did with the exhaust port. I agree on what garcass says about flywheel. 6° of advance added with new timing curves of Advent might not be good for your pistons. TBM is nice and light where it counts but pricey. T/L on a Kawi isnt good for much imo.

That's why i'd run the timing light on it and retard the stator to get to stock (if possible) or retard the timing 6 degree across the board on the cdi.

That's why i'd run the timing light on it and retard the stator to get to stock (if possible) or retard the timing 6 degree across the board on the cdi.

You have a different stator than I do I guess,the stator mounts are not slotted,thats why it was built into the flywheel and R&D sells a 6 degree advance plate. The Advent curves are preprogrammed. I guess you could asked Advent to pull 6 degrees out of all 4 curves in the curveset you choose. If you are set on the Accel with the advanced timing you myight want ti look at the Igni-Pro ignition which you program yourself. Hope that helps. Back to the port timing,do you have anyone near you that has a motor that runs the way you like and you could pull their cylinder? I would pass mine onto you but I have a stroker so no help. Have you talked to Tim at Z-Force by chance? He does real good work on Kawis (as do the others that have been mentioned) and seems pretty reasonable.

Last edited:
I can't take any better pictures its put together but yes in the transfer ports there is a ton of meat taken out to open them up and a sharper edge down on the bottom where they meet the cases to increase flow and they have a roughness to them to atomize the fuel air... the windows may look like the sport port but when it comes to how a port hits on the bottom or the top 2mm up or down can be a night or day difference. I think you should just have your cylinder profesionaly ported get a advent with curves setup for the octane your head is setup for and run a factory pipe and a zero lightende flywheel. I think there's more gains to be had in those than a $400-600 flywheel that's my opinion....

Newmiller did awesome work to my cylinder! ...too bad I grenaded it on the initial start up. The little arrows on the pistons are definitely there for a reason

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

kawcase.jpgmild.JPGYam.jpg

few case pics - Filling is for the voids in older Kawasaki cases and Yamaha cases. SXR's only need reed stuffing area filling depending on what cages. Some older small pin cases were also solid like the SXR cases.

Last edited:

waxhead

wannabe backflipper
Lol well there you go. I guess when your going for the ultimate your all going to end up close to the same in regards to flow direction

Very good pictures thanks. I did pull my head yesterday and there's only 32cc domes in it. Also found what looks like water intrusion. There was very little gasket material sealing the headpipe so maybe water was coming through there. Head is straight as well.

I was very impressed by how well the ports are matched on my sxr. Maybe kawasaki was on to something when they cast the cylinder around the sleeve as opposed to pressing it in like yami. Explains why they make such good power. I'm thinking of running 50-50 93 octane and sunoco 110 with high comp and ignition curve for response. Light porting and a aluminum flywheel

EDIT: I got only 160 psi with the 32cc domes (sea level). Ill be mixing 93 octane with 25% Sunoco 110 and figured out that makes about 98. Would only cost me $30 for 5 gallons and thats OK with me. What dome size would be safe to run with 98 octane? I was thinking either 28 or 26 and then play with a programmable ignition. ADA Racing recommends 28's but everyone says thats not accurate.

Last edited:
Dont compare ADA domes and what people are running to any other combo.
Reason: Domes are not created equal - ADA's are conservative - only compare ADA to ADA

Top Bottom