Votes: 3 10.3%
  • no

Votes: 26 89.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

AlexanderD

rz350 racer
im looking at getting this 1999 seadoo speedster sk

and was wondering if anyone has had any experience with these boats. good bad or ugly.

also if you have any knowledge of what motors might be in it that would be good. i think they are twin rotax powered. but im not sure about this model.
the add also says the psi is 135 in all cylinders. sounds low to me.

thanks in advance,
AlexanderD

WFO Speedracer

A lifetime ban is like a lifetime warranty !
Compression should be around 150 however you cannot get a good compression reading with a crappy gauge.729 are about as good as it gets with Rotax engine as long as you leave them stock.

I wouldn't touch a SD boat. Maybe a ski but F a boat. If you want to dump $ into something larger than a ski get an outboard or Yami jetboat. I'm not a mechanic but an avid owner and wouldn't take a free SD boat. There's forums for the jetboat as good as the X, do some research.

those are fun boats! i dont know about 60mph, but a solid 50-55. if its got 130 psi in all cylinders, its prolly the gauge. they are a pain to work on because of the twin engines being close together, but if you service it regularly you shouldbt have much problems. i worked at a stealership for 2.5 years and the only thing that seemed to go wrong on those or all seadoo boats for that matter was fuel tank senders. obviously other stuff here and there too but nothing too bad. just stay away from their supercharged boats and seadoos unless you got warrenty!! or can fix them yourself

Layne

Addicted.
Never once have I been on one of those and thought, man now this is nice.

If you want a jet boat buy a Yamaha. Although I couldn't say they're better in fact because I've never been on one. They do have more hp and will feel like a real boat, not a sitdown with a couple more seats, and I've heard many good things.

OCD Solutions

Original, Clean and Dependable Solutions
Site Supporter
Vendor Account
They do look like fun but I have always questioned their fuel economy. How do they compare against a regular boat with a mercruiser inboard for mileage?

snowxr

V watch your daughters V
I've worked for multiple seadoo dealers, and have had demo boats to use. The 720 motors are ok, but they need basic maintenance. Exhaust bolts rattle loose, and oil injection lines seem to get brittle and crack. The jet pumps need to have oil changes every year, or the bearings wear out. Other than that, they are fairly decent boats for lake recreation. Just DON'T leave it in the water. Keep it on the trailer, or hoist when you're not using it. Otherwise you'll have issues with rust inside the engines. The water in the exhaust systems will work their way up into the cylinders and crankcases.

Taken care of, these are decent boats. Neglected they are money pits.

AlexanderD

rz350 racer
thanks for all the info fellas. im still not sure what to do. perhaps take a look at it and bring a pressure gauge with me. i was kinda holding out to find the model with the mecruser. good tip about not laving it in the water! i'll be sure; if i do get one, to get either a lift or maybe set up a marine-railway to get it up out of the water.

cheers,
AllexanderD

OCD Solutions

Site Supporter
Vendor Account
Man, you just can't beat those Mercruisers, they sip all day on what a seadoo burns in an hour or two. My buddies 24ft Glastron with the Mercruiser 454 got better fuel economy than my Seadoo GSXL.

Last edited:

AlexanderD

rz350 racer
seems some people really don't like seadoo's eh!
i want a boat that will be decent for pulling a wakeboarder! i would love and inboard motor but the prop sits so low it scares me! The lake my cottage is on is shallow in a lot of places. not to mention the dead-heads all over the place. i have effed quite a few props over the years. i had herd good things about the jet-boats being decent ski-boats sooo. here i am looking for a decent speedster.

ger87410

How did I get here?
About everyone on here hates sea-doos and I can't really find a good reason why.

I like mine. Wish it had more power, but I bet that's a common complaint for all boats.

If the price is right, I say go for it. Take it for a test run before you sign anything.

OCD Solutions

Site Supporter
Vendor Account
I don't hate Seadoo's, I've just grown very wary of them. Mine had lots of power too but with great power comes great respo....bills, it comes with big bills.

As standup riders we are a different breed to begin with so we all may be too biased to give an accurate opinion, I'd ask a community that actually runs them and see what they say. The older smaller seadoo engines were know to run well over 500 hrs with the right maintenance, even in rental units so that's a plus. They are like everything else and with the right amount of maintenance at the right time and they will run well for years.

About everyone on here hates sea-doos and I can't really find a good reason why.

because its what somone told them, or because its a sitdown. brp makes great products. best quads, best sleds and best watercraft (except for stand-ups haha) IMO. sure beats having a geared down crotch rocket motor in your watercraft (ie yamaha and kawi.) as with anything if you take care of it it will be just fine and last long time. id buy a seadoo jetboat anyday because i have actually worked on them and used them. now the optimax powered jetboats i personally hate. they took a great motor and hooked it to a :):):):)ty pump and ive never ridden in one that was impressive. bottom line, dont make your decision based on what people on here say. most have probly never stepped foot in one. as for fuel consumption if your worried about it, you probly dont want a boat. and for your area a jetboat seems practical. or somthing with an outboard.

Top Bottom