Engine bay paint?

Hahah!! That's the look I was going for!!! I love that sublime green! I'm telling you guys, Interlux Bilgekote is the way to go!! It covers so well, easy to work with, and dries hard!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hahah!! That's the look I was going for!!! I love that sublime green! I'm telling you guys, Interlux Bilgekote is the way to go!! It covers so well, easy to work with, and dries hard!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOTE

I wish I could get that stuff, but I can't buy anything out here, and shipping for hazardous materials is looooong and expensive.

Last edited:
As you can see, it doesn't build up and hide surface imperfections like zolatone though. It will look the same except for the color.
I definitely like the idea of simply spraying that stuff on. The last time I worked with Rustoleum Appliance Epoxy was on a set of reconditioned carbs, and it took a week to cure hard. It stayed soft for days and I prepped the surface well, and waited for clear hot days.

As another alternative, I was thinking about tinting some West Systems Epoxy resin and rolling it on. What do you guys think about that?

I definitely like the idea of simply spraying that stuff on. The last time I worked with Rustoleum Appliance Epoxy was on a set of reconditioned carbs, and it took a week to cure hard. It stayed soft for days and I prepped the surface well, and waited for clear hot days.

As another alternative, I was thinking about tinting some West Systems Epoxy resin and rolling it on. What do you guys think about that?
Appliance epoxy never lasts more than a season for me. I always respray each winter. I would go with epoxy.

Appliance epoxy never lasts more than a season for me. I always respray each winter. I would go with epoxy.
Thanks, it's good to hear from more than one regarding the longevity.

Conditions here are harsh on skis, so if it flakes there it will not last a year here.

McDog

Other Administrator
Staff member
All about surface prep with any product. My skis live outside next to the lake with just a cover in middle Georgia.

Regular primer and a single stage enamel out of an HVLP gun for me. Paint has held up great with no peeling or anything for the last 4 years.

Attachments

• IMG_20110512_204633.jpg
    IMG_20110512_204633.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_20110513_164102.jpg
    IMG_20110513_164102.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 73
All about surface prep with any product. My skis live outside next to the lake with just a cover in middle Georgia.
My surface prep was pretty good. The paint doesn't chip up, rather it gets dirty and stains really easily.. The muddy water here along with spilled gas and exhaust leaks didn't help. Any no washing or scrubing could clean it up like the stock paint.

This is just after spraying appliance epoxy.
0616142105.jpg

Ok I thought it failed. I would be using Black like McDog, so dirt/oil shouldn't bother me. All I'm really worried about is flaking. I hate doing things twice, and this is a commitment.

Ok I thought it failed. I would be using Black like McDog, so dirt/oil shouldn't bother me. All I'm really worried about is flaking. I hate doing things twice, and this is a commitment.

Kinda funny! I pained mine white primarily for the reason I COULD see oil laying in the bilge, which means it's time to clean it up or something else is going on!

I picked mine up at West Marine but looks like you can get it on Amazon without hazardous shipping.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B001H...dpPl=1&dpID=31NMhWmw+bL&ref=plSrch&pi=AC_QL40

This is what I get when I try to order most liquids.
a745c52708ce027311876484008418ad.jpg

McDog

Other Administrator
Staff member
You think so.....until after that exhaust leak...... and then it looks like crap until you strip ski and clean it and possibly have to repaint it to make it look nice again. Been there and done that and no thanks again.

CRJ

Hibernating
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOTE

I wish I could get that stuff, but I can't buy anything out here, and shipping for hazardous materials is looooong and expensive.
if you need help getting it to you let me know. my local marine shop sells it and i have no problem boxing it and shipping it off for you.

Keep reading about easy rattle can, brush on I want it done fast paint job. My plan is clean surface hand sand with 80 grit. Re-sand with 80 grit then go over one more time with red scotch bright pad. Spray on epoxy primer with hardner. Use base coat white and shoot urethane clear over top. Better paint job than under your truck hood. Ya cleaning is will always be an issue but cleaning off a smooth hard surface like clear urethane should not be time consuming.

Top Bottom