yz125 good first bike?

I started on a yz125, not the easiest bike to start on, I would recommend a 4-stroke as a first bike. The lack of bottom end and harsh powerband of the 125 make it kind of hard to learn om

Pablo

sqeez bth levrs & lean bk
Site Supporter
I'm down for either 2 or 4 strokes. A 4 is easier to live with on a day to day basis in terms of easy to ride, quieter, linear power and reliability. However, when u get a taste of that 2-stroke power, when it comes on, is addicting. Unless ur planning on serious motocross or lots jumping/big air I'd lean towards a 4. The weight difference in a modern 4 versus a 2 isn't a justification anymore. I've owned CR's, KX's, and YZ's. Never had a Suzuki. My favorite bike is a XR350. It's a air cooled, old school 4 stroke but it had tons of power, nimble enough to jump and was as reliable as a clock.

N3vrSat1sfied

Military Member
I grew up racing MX, and I would argue the opposite of Pablo. I don't race anymore and own a 2 stroke KTM 150sx. Two strokes are cheaper, easier to maintain/repair, and a hell lot more fun to ride. Now if I were racing competitively no doubt I would be on a four stroke, they are easier to ride.

YZ would be a great choice IMO, easy to get parts for and was and still is a great bike. I'd lean towards 05+ (I think) with the aluminum frame.

Attachments

• IMG_7350.JPG
    IMG_7350.JPG
    158.1 KB · Views: 41

Vumad

Super Hero, with a cape!
I learned to ride on a kx125 with a pipe. I had come from 4-stroke quads. I didn't understand the difference way back then. I wheelied off a table top not in the powerband, and transitioned into the powerband on the way down with the front wheel up. The gyro turned the bike sideways in the air and the engine landed on my foot pretty much analiating it through my boot. I did learn to ride the bike acceptably before I sold it because you can't let yourself get beat, but I know 2-strokes are not for me.

I'm by no means saying not to get the bike. What I am saying is to make sure you understand how the bike works. I did not and I got hurt. Those 2-strokes can be very unpredictable for a new rider. You already have much more experience than I did. I've heard the kawi has a much more light switch power band than other bikes so the Yamaha may not be as bad.

I grew up racing MX, and I would argue the opposite of Pablo. I don't race anymore and own a 2 stroke KTM 150sx. Two strokes are cheaper, easier to maintain/repair, and a hell lot more fun to ride. Now if I were racing competitively no doubt I would be on a four stroke, they are easier to ride.

YZ would be a great choice IMO, easy to get parts for and was and still is a great bike. I'd lean towards 05+ (I think) with the aluminum frame.
Hey dude I used to have a big ole ktm 380 2 stroke that bike was geared to the moon ! I did a lot of desert riding

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I also grew up with pw80, great little bike. Glad to hear you want to get back into riding.
What kind of riding do you plan getting into? All trails, back yard,Tight woods, Open areas, track...etc
Do you have a price range in mind?

Scorn800

Ride for life
I'd go 4 stroke. Size depends where u ride. I like pitbikes because where I ride is tight. Klx110 is great but is
f u want something bigger look at Klx140 or crf150

dont plan on racing....but plan to do more Track style riding than trail riding....no tight woods.....not had a lot of luck buying used over the last few years so I'd plan to buy new...

The yz125 is a great bike to learn on, be sure to wear gear all the time and take it easy at first. Thankfully you won't grow out of it in the first season. Keep the air filter clean and oiled for the best motor life!

For a beginner riding on the track I wouldn't recommend a 125. Your gonna have to learn to hold it wide open real quick if you want to clear any jumps. They are a lot of work to ride which makes them really fun for someone with experience, just not what I recommend for someone starting. They are more of a stepping stone for kids growing out of the 85s who are used to the 2 strokes. And the new 250s make great power, and they're still light.

superjetguy

It's hard to speak without a tongue.
Yeah 125 on the track for a beginner not a good idea. Even if you can control the powerband once you start to progress the 125 will fall short of your expectations. If you get one be prepared to be WFO and working that clutch. Go with a 250f

I have to agree that a 125 isn't the best starter bike. And getting all the gear is very important. 125s can be quite the handful if your not spot on with the clutch and throttle control. But so can any full size dirt bike... Riding a small cc two stroke can be a great learning experience, but sometimes it can turn people away without enough patience. 4 strokes are easier to learn on in general (linear power and engine braking) but come with more costly and labor intensive maintenance/repair, and less fun IMO. If your guna be all about mx then the 4s bandwagon where everyone seems to be going, but if your looking for non competitive fun on and off the track I think a larger displacement 2 stroke is the way to go. They may have a lot more power than a 125, but depending on the brand and cc, they can have very predictable power that is easy to control. Either way I recommend trying to find some bikes to test ride. Do you have some friends with bikes that you could try out?

only Friend thats into it has a Race Built RM250(2 stroke) haha....iv got months to learn and debate before i buy just wanted to get some advice here from people who have been around it a while....the before mentioned friend actually recomended the KTM 150 today...

150s are a blast and you can always throw on a flywheel weight for about 100 bucks and really smooth out the power

N3vrSat1sfied

Military Member
The KTM 150 actually has a smoother powerband then a KTM 125. Gears feel a little longer too (even though the bottom end is identical). The 150 makes more power but it's a little more forgiving. Either way on a track the only way to ride two strokes is wide open using the clutch for speed control lol.

I think you got the jist of it from the comments so far.
I recommended a two stroke because like I said I grew up racing and moved from 80s to 125 then to 250. Then switched to four strokes. For me it's just more fun. However, like others said you might be better off starting on a 250f. If buying new you don't have much to worry about for repairs. Keep the engine oil and air filter clean.

baaah, these guys that say a YZ125 is too much and then suggest a 150 or 250f, you are 25 and I know you don't want an 85cc, the 125 is exactly that, a starter racebike. Don't ride over your head and you will probably learn how to ride on it, I have seen countless newbs that never learned how to ride until they got smaller bikes, too much power is only going to slow your learning curve. A 125 doesn't 'have' to be clutched and revved everywhere, unless you want to win, if you want to learn just go ride it and practice!!!!
And btw, my wife learned to ride and race on a KX125!!!

Last edited:
later yz 125's (early 2000+) are fantastic bikes.. ignore what others have said.. I may be a ski newb, but I have been riding/racing moto for 20 years.. being very light and nimble they handle better then any 4 stroke, plus lot less $ to own and keep running. yz125 have the most bottom mid power of all the 125s out there. I have a 2002 cr125 that a rebuilt last year and I ride on the moto track.. I forgot how fun they actually are. im 6'3 225lbs and I hurt peoples feelings on it...

Top Bottom