White Trash Build 440/650

Been making slow progress as my back still isn’t back to normal.

This Rhaas kit has been a pain in the ass but maybe because it’s a rear exhaust. I had to grind the crap out of the battery tray and even stuff in a pool noodle to keep it from cutting into the hose.
e78a535fa994f59ebb4102e2bed1bcf8.jpg

I also couldn’t get the engine back far enough to get the bolts in or the coupler engaged enough without hitting the electrical box.

I had to cut down the aluminum bulkhead box, cut the electrical box spacers, grind the electrical box nubs off the back and even add spacers to to one side of the electrical box bracket to kick the exhaust side further back. Even now it barely clears.
6eb3cbf53714d7445b045f7b2ddac7fa.jpg

Even with the engine mount bolts in the coupler still wasn’t engaged enough for me to be comfortable so I put a superjet coupler washer on the crank and it seems good to go now.
3ecd76eebfb189e8a8ae1d943e32b3ac.jpg

For the price and wait I’m pretty disappointed with the Rhaas kit but maybe it’s just my hull as others didn’t seem to have these issues or maybe I’m just too much of a perfectionist.

Last edited:
Well, I guess it’s about time to cut to the chase.

Engine is installed and everything connected. I have a few mm clearance on the electrical box.

The gas tank is shifted as far as it can go because of the rear exhaust exit and touches the Bread Box outlet so I’ll have to keep an eye on that.
1e7194ffffb87a5af25e29c76c419bf2.jpg

Got new WSM mats installed and they are just ok. They are hard like the crappy Black Tip and new SBT Hydroturf but they were cheap. I really miss the OG Hydroturf….

4aea37f5f67b56ccbfbc4d65d1d05395.jpg

New OEM hood seal, fuel selector door and nose trim went on easy.

a4e8792b52e722ba38ca07b663bab1ca.jpg

The lighting sucks but she is finally finished.
c9a88616f37ee108351dec9073e23c6a.jpg

7da91e504ee6efb57b289c1a453df916.jpg

Now I just need to get it to the lake for a shakedown run.

Big shoutout to @1970Camaro, @JetManiac, Rhaas and PWC Muscle for help with the parts on this project, my little Groms should be happy with this beater.

Last edited:

Kohldanielzimmer

Sierra Nevada Runoff Rider
Site Supporter
Very nice build. I have a nice 61x sitting in a tote for something like this…

Is the new hydroturf really just as crappy as black tip? Major bummer if so.

Very nice build. I have a nice 61x sitting in a tote for something like this…

Is the new hydroturf really just as crappy as black tip? Major bummer if so.
I can't speak for the sheet goods but the pre-cut one I saw seemed exactly the same as the WSM and BlackTip junk. It just isn't as squishy as it used to be. My guess is it is all exactly the same except for the branding logo cutouts.

Sanoman

thecolorpurple
I can't speak for the sheet goods but the pre-cut one I saw seemed exactly the same as the WSM and BlackTip junk. It just isn't as squishy as it used to be. My guess is it is all exactly the same except for the branding logo cutouts.
I have used several sheets of the newer HT. Can’t say there is much difference. l have used the molded and the regular turf. Seems to be the same. l don’t buy the pre-cut, so that l cannot give any opinion on it.

I put a 701 in a 550sx several years ago with the RHaas kit. I had the same problem with fitting the stock Yamaha exhaust. I ended putting the head pipe on a mill and removing like 3/16".

So OP - have you ridden it yet?
No, it has been fighting me the entire way.
First startup it would not rev past 1/2 throttle and seemed to be hitting the rev limiter at 4,000 rpm. Turned out the be a bad coil.
Next the fuel system would not hold pressure. Turned out to be a big crack in the front of the fuel tank that was not there when I cleaned it and installed it.
Got a used tank from a friend. If all goes well and I can get the tank back in we are going to attempt to take it out on Monday.

Top Bottom