Other What kind of quad should I get...?

motozachl

uPsiDeDoWn
Nice dude. I ripped my old rappy around the local trails / backyards but after rolling it a few times out riding myself it was time to go.

Ok gentlemen, im ready to upgrade and have no idea what to get.. Ive currently been running a 2004 honda rancher 350 and its still a lot of effort to get skis in and out of the water. Shes do for a once over so instead of dumping money into something that isn't up to par, id like to get something with a little more power.

What I need out of the machine. I need something with more power, period. The beach where we launch changes daily from rock to sand, to very soft rock/sand which the atv will just sink if it cant pull the ski out of the water. Id like something fuel injected as well. Im not looking to break the bank either. Id like to stay under $10 and would be happier with the less I spend.

I love my wildcat sxs, bought a new hold over for like 8k, keeps up with my cousins 900 rzr just fine on the trails in mn and wi. its only a 700 but i don't live in the mtns, or near dunes, so to me it's not worth it for a 16k or more new rzr.

ive put my hitch hauler in my wildcat, it sags a ton and is hard to steer with no weight on the front wheels but it moved my ski lol.

We have a couple of the Can Am 800 twin Outlanders and they have been bullet proof, super powerful and ride smooth. The Max is a bit longer and easily seats two and is preferred over our shorter standard quad.

I regularly launch 4 stand ups at a time with it and never have any power issues.

I also have a 2014 Polaris Big Boss 6x6 that is the ultimate. The cargo box gets everything else you need to the water and the 6 tires will never sink in the soft sand/rocks. It’s also an 800 twin and pulls like a beast, much more traction than our 1000 Ranger.
I launch boats with it at our fairly steep landing that weigh around 3000 pounds and if I had to get rid of every quad that would be my keeper for sure. The SxS is nice but bulky and way more expensive. Our big boss was around 9500 new.

That Polaris 6x6 looks insane! I’ve also been checking out Argos but the new ones are like $15k... seems silly.

i tried to get a good picture but it’s tough to tell and it wasn’t bad today. When i pull a Superjet out of the water into that small sand/pebble type beach, it’s almost a guarantee i get stuck unless someone is pushing. Carbon skis are no problem but anything with any weight is an issue making the transition form water to land. No issues launching today!

49ED1E28-09A5-4935-A794-A819BF7286D3.jpeg

Anything Can Am is top of the line. I have owned Polaris before, it was a Scrambler 850 and the build quality between Polaris and Can Am, there is no comparison.
I now have a 2019 Can Am XMR 1000.

Screen Shot 2018-12-13 at 7.45.33 PM.png

but whats the price tag on that thing?

Brand new MSRP on my quad is 15,500. I got it for 13,500.

Are you looking new or used? How much power do you want? Do you need power steering? I do a lot of quadding, mine is not used as a tow vehicle for skis. If money wasn't an issue was the original question you get what I listed, if you have a budget I can help u find what you are looking for.

I have owned all types of quads, some as cheap as $1000.....sport, mud and dirt track orientated ones.

Quinc

Buy a Superjet
What about a big red? ATC250ES
iu

I need something to tow skis up and down the ramp in any condition no matter what. I don't need anything fancy or top of the line. Something that wont get stuck because its pulling a heavy superjet. Money isn't an issue but I don't want to spend a ton on something that gets used bery little. Id prefer used.

I need something to tow skis up and down the ramp in any condition no matter what. I don't need anything fancy or top of the line. Something that wont get stuck because its pulling a heavy superjet. Money isn't an issue but I don't want to spend a ton on something that gets used bery little. Id prefer used.

Ok then that's a Polaris scrambler or sportsman 500. You want like a 2002-2005 because those are 4 strokes and don't have to worry about always mixing fuel and gas and they are very easy to work on. You can find them for a couple thousand. It has an on the fly switch for 2x4 or 4x4 and is automatic. It will tow the skis with no issue in that power range. Pretty sure it can tow around 1000lbs. Just get good tires which u can get for cheap.

Last edited:
IF your budget is high get a Scrambler 850, great quad and will pull even more and looks 100 times better lol..... they started making them in 2013, but only buy 2014 and forward because the 13's had issues because of being first year builds.

I think you’re better off waiting for a 660 or 700 rhino to come up for sale. I see them by me every so often for 55-7500 bucks.

I think you’re better off waiting for a 660 or 700 rhino to come up for sale. I see them by me every so often for 55-7500 bucks.
I’ve considered that but i think I’d like to stay with an atv. Our ramp is narrow and depending how the beach is settled there isn’t a lot of room to turn around.

Top Bottom