Strange Timing Issue - Need Help!

My TBM flywheel recently broke at the hub and damaged the charging coils on my stator. I bought an aftermarket stator and borrowed a stock lightened flywheel while I wait for mine to be repaired. I got everything back together and it wouldn't start. It backfired at one point then started running, but the engine was turning backwards. Since then, I put together a setup to check my timing and was shocked to find that the timing is 65 degrees retarded during cranking!! Obviously I can't check the spark while running.

I checked that I have the right parts. My keyway is fine. Any ideas?

My only thought right now is that maybe when the flywheel was lightened the hub was removed and put back on in the wrong position.

Has anyone come across this? I should have my flywheel back in around a week to see if that fixes it, but I'd like to get running for this weekend if it's something that can be fixed.

The only other aftermarket ignition part is an MSD enhancer, but it's been in there without issue for years.

Nobody takes the hub out to lighten it as far as I know, change out the msd to a stock cdi to test, as they are known to go after a 'bunch' of years.

Yeah it seems unlikely, but the CDI throwing timing off almost 90* seems unlikely too. If I find the time tomorrow I'll try throwing in the stock CDI.

I helped a member with that exact amount of timing error. He had bought an eBay China after market stator... It was the stator causing it

I'm not super sure about this but I think it might be possible that the pulser coil wound backwards would put you 90 degrees off, which seems plausible to happen with an aftermarket stator.

These are finally the kind of answers I’ve been looking for. Couldn’t find anything that made sense for days.

I was considering swapping the bad coils off the stock stator and putting the new ones in place. It sounds like that might work. The stock pulser coil looks to be fine.

I’ll update with results when I get a chance to do the swap.

Top Bottom