Rickter Registration - Arizona

Az fish and game office is where I did my footrocket. I’m out of state and it only cost $100, but it’s considered home built so insurance is a pain.
Did you have to show any proof of anything? Sales tax? Build receipts, etc.? Thanks for the info. This will be my first time.

Did you have to show any proof of anything? Sales tax? Build receipts, etc.? Thanks for the info. This will be my first time.
I had some receipts. I had the paperwork from purchasing the hull. Did you buy new or used? Az doesn’t charge tax on used purchases however they didn’t charge me on new either maybe I got lucky!

I had some receipts. I had the paperwork from purchasing the hull. Did you buy new or used? Az doesn’t charge tax on used purchases however they didn’t charge me on new either maybe I got lucky!
Correction. If you buy from a dealer they will charge tax if private sale they will not

I'm buying new build from TC. I'm assuming there is no HULL ID on a Rickter. This is why I’m asking. I will call game and fish today and see what they say about a home built ski. Anyone else who has experience in AZ registration, please keep replies going.

TC is in Arizona now, have you tried asking him?
Havent spoken to him yet about it. He's busy with world finals so didn't want to bother him about it right now. I called G&F and they said it's pretty straight forward. Show up at a regional office with the ski, have it inspected. They issue a HULL ID and pay the fees to register. Seems pretty simple.

SUPERJET-113

GASKETS FOR CHAMP BRAP!
Site Supporter
Yeah, AZ is easy. Ive bought skis with no proof of ownership and they put them in my name. It just falls all on you then..lol Thats exactly what they told me. They even made me a tag for a ski i had no proof on and no outer tag. It did have the inside one though and they made me the outside one to match.
Just call them and they will tell you what to do, which will be to bring it in for inspection and length measurement and bring any paperwork you may have. In AZ your registration is your title.

Rickters have serial #'s also, TC is super helpful with supplying paperwork needed also. He has no issues with getting me proper paperwork to get Rickters duty free into Canada, where Blowsion was a totally different story! (I was blowsioned once, only once!)

AZ Game and Fish (MESA) failed me. Tried to register as home-built. Had receipt of parts purchased. Said she's heard of Rickter and is not a hull I built. Said in order to register as home-built, I have to have built the hull myself. HULL ID is about the hull, not about what's inside it. Said buzz going around about people trying to register these "RICKTERS" and them being a problem for G&F. Anyone go anywhere else and have better luck? TC new to AZ and researching but no solutions yet.

Help. please.

Does the hull have an ID tag? Did you receive an MSO with the hull? What did G&F say you needed to register the hull? Have they inspected it yet?

You can usually get away with riding a ski with no numbers during the off season at any of the Salt River lakes. That will buy you some time until you get it figured out.

No MSO. I custom assembled from parts. Hull is Rickter. The hull has a serial number inside. It is taped, not stamped/affixed. Serial number is unique to the hull for QA purposes internally to Rickter RPP. Yes they inspected but didn't get as far as measure when they saw RICKTER on the side and stopped dead.

AZ G&F gave me a lesson today as they sent me out the door. HULL ID numbers are unique identifiers assignable by manufacturers who obtain a MIC (Manufacturer Identification Code). The MIC is assigned by Office of Auxiliary and Boating Safety that uniquely identifies that manufacturer with the US Coast Guard; allowing our great GOV to track every hull in the US on its waters.

Rickter doesn't issue hull id's. Certainly would make it easier for people to buy. This is all laughable insanity. I just need to register a damn hull for gods sake.

I still don’t understand why everyone doesn’t just buy one junk skis with a title a modify/build it into a Rickter replica, wink wink.

Honestly tell me there is any LEO that will not only run the numbers on a currently registered ski but know that it isn’t an 89 Kawasaki that you custom modified and made it look like a Rickter or can prove you didn’t.

In most states there has to be a chain of title and if it is new a manufacturers certificate of origin if you ever want a title, this is all to make sure it’s legit and not stolen, it’s the hull they worry about and don’t care about engine or anything else, same with vehicles and motorcycles. If it’s home built it has to be just that, you would have to build the hull, not buy a prebuilt one like Rickter.

Keep in mind it’s illegal to tamper with VIN and HIN plates.

be_lain

Currently sending it
They titled and registered my secondhand Tigercraft here in OR no problem. Did it as a home built boat like you mentioned. Didn’t have a shred of paperwork for it either. Sheriff came out and inspected it while the hull was still bare. Issued me a HIN and I had a trophy shop make up a couple tags.

However he did look at all my other skis to see if I pulled a factory HIN off one of them... he seemed pretty skeptical but then again he was kind of a douche. Anyway if you know anyone up here it is an easy process and only cost about $80 with 2yr reg.

Insurance is another story though...

Putting this to rest. I drove 4 hours north west to Needles, CA and registered in about 15 minutes at the CA DMV. Easy as pie. Arizona G&F ... what a joke. Why they need to make things so complicated is beyond me. I have my Hull ID. That's all that matters!

Top Bottom