Protec DBP or Coffman Sizzler on Group K 61X?

Hello All,
After quite a few years, I'm finally getting around to installing a pipe on my Group K sleepered FX1. I have a complete Protec full DBP stainless steel pipe with a new 62T exhaust manifold and also a Coffman Sizzler with a Factory Pipe 61X manifold. I can't decide which pipe to install on the ski. Does anyone have any input? I'm leaning toward the Protec, but have heard good things about the Coffman as well. Help!

-Todd

Are you going to port match the manifolds. Part or the reason the sleeper kits worked well is because the cylinder is ported but the manifolds are also machined to match the cylinder porting.

Yeah, I 'll match the exhaust ports up on whichever manifold I end up using. I'd rather have more bottom end than top, so maybe the coffman's is the way to go? I've heard drying out the stinger/water box helps them develop some pretty good low end.

-Todd

waxhead

wannabe backflipper
bottom end ? i think you mean throttle response.
If you make to much low end power on an fx1 the pump will never hook up. I would rather have a prealier motor in an fx1 that will allow the pump to get soem drive before loading it so hard. I am building an fx1 at the moment and I have gone high in the exhaust to make power and also not trying to make a torque monster down low where the pump cant handle it

CRJ

Hibernating
Coffman is my choice of pipe. I ran mine on my old 763 61x with a 46, and it flew! Loved the bottom end, but around 1/2 it hit a powerband and took off!

Quinc

Buy a Superjet
bottom end ? i think you mean throttle response.
If you make to much low end power on an fx1 the pump will never hook up. I would rather have a prealier motor in an fx1 that will allow the pump to get soem drive before loading it so hard. I am building an fx1 at the moment and I have gone high in the exhaust to make power and also not trying to make a torque monster down low where the pump cant handle it

Is there any ski you are not currently building?

VXSXH20

Sionis Industries
i have had both exhausts. I had a protec"REV" black fx1 pipe that was full cast. not the half stainless DBP chamber that points downward. the manifold and elbow are the same.

The coffmans I had on multiple setups both kawi 750s and Yamaha 701s. I really liked the coffmans better as well as the fit and finish. I did not have to mount anything to the cylinder heads and they were solid compared to the protec which seemed to vibrate more, it was heavier and had retighten hardware more often. the protec DBP is a very nice pipe indeed. if that's all I had I'd run it. But since you have both the Coffman is a very nice pipe all around. both are leaps and bounds better than the stock setup. the only drawback you may have I foresee is running a FPP 61x manifold you will not have the bung tab on the body to attach the Coffman sizzler chamber to. but its pretty light as you know. so not the end of the world.

i have had both exhausts. I had a protec"REV" black fx1 pipe that was full cast. not the half stainless DBP chamber that points downward. the manifold and elbow are the same.

The coffmans I had on multiple setups both kawi 750s and Yamaha 701s. I really liked the coffmans better as well as the fit and finish. I did not have to mount anything to the cylinder heads and they were solid compared to the protec which seemed to vibrate more, it was heavier and had retighten hardware more often. the protec DBP is a very nice pipe indeed. if that's all I had I'd run it. But since you have both the Coffman is a very nice pipe all around. both are leaps and bounds better than the stock setup. the only drawback you may have I foresee is running a FPP 61x manifold you will not have the bung tab on the body to attach the Coffman sizzler chamber to. but its pretty light as you know. so not the end of the world.

Thanks for the input. I figured I can always weld a mounting bung onto the FP manifold if I felt like it was needed. I've seen some conflicting information on the Coffman manifolds. I was under the impression that they were only made for the 650 6M6 case and not the 61X. But I've heard others say they have one made for the 61X. Maybe they have just modified it(port match) to fit?

-Todd

Quinc

Buy a Superjet
You just need to port match it. And open it up from 41mm to 47. You can run without the bung, just put some turf between the chamber and your hull.

You just need to port match it. And open it up from 41mm to 47. You can run without the bung, just put some turf between the chamber and your hull.
Are you talking about opening up the headpipe inlet on the Coffman to match the FP manifold outlet?

VXSXH20

Sionis Industries
you can use a new oem 61x exhaust gasket and lay it up on a 6m6 Coffman manifold and trace it to match up the 61x ports. no manifold is going to be precise with a perfect match from the foundry. but you can get it very close this way and it will still perform much better than the stock setup. since you have the FPP it should be close if its the true 61x manifold. a 62t manifold has different port heights and larger stud mounting holes. I would not tear that up and try to use it. USE the 61x.

-Quinc is referring to opening up the Coffman head pipe to the fpp manifold yes. you can also achieve that by using a gasket and tracing it out on both sides and see match them up. Just don't rush and take your time. I would not go much past 47-48mm on the Coffman head pipe flange. the FPP manifold can withstand more meat cut out but you may want to contact groupK and see if they recommend going any larger than that.

Well, I received the coffman pipe in the mail and its in worse shape than I thought. Can you guys tell me if there is a "dent" from the factory, right below the mid pipe mounting lug? That's what the seller is telling me. Its looks like something was rubbing there as well.

Quinc

Buy a Superjet
I will have to check mine, but i don't think there is a dent. It was probably rubbing against the hull since it was not bolted to the manifold.

VXSXH20

Sionis Industries
That Is a wear spot. it has been butted up against the ex manifold. it appears to be fine. These sizzlers were multi-platform pipes. so the chambers were used in various Kawasaki's 650sx/x2/750xi/sx/sxi and all Yamaha standups. the difference was the head pipe and manifolds. there's plenty of meat there. don't give up. clean it up and carry on!

Well, I've ran into another issue. The pipe won't clear the FP manifold without resting right on the hull. Think I'm just gonna go with the Protec. Anyone interested in this sizzler for $250 shipped? Manifold not included.

Quinc

Buy a Superjet
put some turf between the pipe and hull. be worth it vs running the protec.

Top Bottom