Phazer mod sleds

bird

walking on water
Site Supporter
Picked up a 1993 Phazer II last March, just started it yesterday. Replacing the shock Bushings, Shims, and new CA Pro Skis this weekend. Then going to go through the Skid next to replace bearings and check pulleys. Got a new seat cover as well!

This is my first Sled. My best friend had Kitty Kats and Sno Scoots growing up.

It has the AAEN pipe on it. We have a good lake here that stays frozen well into April. I put most of my miles down there since snow was scarce.

schicks

Karma Enforcer
I put apex mountain skis on mine. Yamaha only did these skis for a year, maybe 2 on the apex's. Blow molded, hollow skis, probably not strong, but they are very light and wide with a deep keel. I made some custom shackles to mount them. Apex handle bars, risers. 121" track 1.25" paddles. I like the skid because it was the only phazer model that yamaha did a factory anodized skid (gold). Too mint to swap out.

Ive played with flatslide vmax carbs, air pods, aaean and psi pipe, clutching, etc etc. But i put it back to mostly stock a year or two ago. Got sick of messing with it and just wanted it turn key for once. Ive been messing around with this sled for 25 years.

Registered as a historic sled, no registration updates or trail permint required.

Put a fuel shut off on the gas line! The oem butterfly float carbs can have finiky needles. Ive had them leak and dump 5 gallons of gas on the garage floor from carb over flow. I also constantly had issues with the choke plungers sticking and not close due to springs on the plunger. Terrible design, but yamaha in true fashion, did it for 30 years on the phazers. Not to mention getting those carbs in and out is not exactly fun haha, youll figure out what i mean. Great sleds tho, cheap parts and they are so simple.
20211031_181636.jpg20211031_181441.jpg

Last edited:
I put apex mountain skis on mine. Yamaha only did these skis for a year, maybe 2 on the apex's. Blow molded, hollow skis, probably not strong, but they are very light and wide with a deep keel. I made some custom shackles to mount them. Apex handle bars, risers. 121" track 1.25" paddles. I like the skid because it was the only phazer model that yamaha did a factory anodized skid (gold). Too mint to swap out.

Ive played with flatslide vmax carbs, air pods, aaean and psi pipe, clutching, etc etc. But i put it back to mostly stock a year or two ago. Got sick of messing with it and just wanted it turn key for once. Ive been messing around with this sled for 25 years.

Registered as a historic sled, no registration updates or trail permint required.

Put a fuel shut off on the gas line! The oem butterfly float carbs can have finiky needles. Ive had them leak and dump 5 gallons of gas on the garage floor from carb over flow. I also constantly had issues with the choke plungers sticking and not close due to springs on the plunger. Terrible design, but yamaha in true fashion, did it for 30 years on the phazers. Not to mention getting those carbs in and out is not exactly fun haha, youll figure out what i mean. Great sleds tho, cheap parts and they are so simple.
View attachment 432655View attachment 432656
what bar riser and bars are these ?

Who is going to 701 swap one first? :D
LOL it would be neat for sure. figuring out how to make a cooling system and exhaust bolt up would be the difficult parts. If you could come up with some sort of electrical water pump i assume you could take a radiator out of a vmax and make it fit in the phazer tunnel.

BruceSki

Formerly Motoman25
1817ea44755c8dd46e21b995e645e07d.jpg

877538fa7a4acb061bd50a4cf4a90df5.jpg

48a017b4e7a4bc8712850d8aabd6274e.jpg

I had one, never got to my cabin enough to use it so I sold it last winter and picked up a few sno scoots for the kids instead.

I have been riding the wedge nose phazers for years. They are so light and easy to throw around. I keep thinking I should do v-max flat slides and a pipe, but I never found a good deal on a pipe and they run forever stock so I have left all of mine alone.

LOL it would be neat for sure. figuring out how to make a cooling system and exhaust bolt up would be the difficult parts. If you could come up with some sort of electrical water pump i assume you could take a radiator out of a vmax and make it fit in the phazer tunnel.

I think at that point it would be better to just start with an exciter lol.

I think at that point it would be better to just start with an exciter lol.

The Exciter 570 and later 500/600 motors have a lot of DNA in common with the superjet motor. I think the snowmobile motor came first and the watercraft motor came after, but this statement is more accurate than it might seem on the surface.

The Exciter 570 and later 500/600 motors have a lot of DNA in common with the superjet motor. I think the snowmobile motor came first and the watercraft motor came after, but this statement is more accurate than it might seem on the surface.
There are a ton of similarities for sure. Wouldnt surprise me one bit if a 570/600 crank would fit in a 6m6 case. I would have already tried it if I had some spare 570/600 parts laying around, but oddly I don't.

I've got a couple mostly complete phazer chassis hanging around, one has a heavy duty wide end front kit on it (not a phazer 2 kit). All this phazer talk gives me ideas.

There are a ton of similarities for sure. Wouldnt surprise me one bit if a 570/600 crank would fit in a 6m6 case. I would have already tried it if I had some spare 570/600 parts laying around, but oddly I don't.

The snowmobile motor has doubled up bearings on the PTO end. Snowmobiles need very stout bearings on PTO to deal with belt pull force, which is another reason why a watercraft motor is not a great choice for this sort of thing.

The snowmobile motor has doubled up bearings on the PTO end. Snowmobiles need very stout bearings on PTO to deal with belt pull force, which is another reason why a watercraft motor is not a great choice for this sort of thing.
Do you know what the distance between centers is on a 570?

Top Bottom