Need an opinion

Quinc

Buy a Superjet
Thanks everyone for the opinion. I'm gonna have a professional gel the tophalf and handle below the bondline myself with some type of polyurethane paint .

I figure you can't make it too nice down there if u wanna do more than sit and look at it huh .

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk
Did you get a price qoute? Last time I looked into professional gel coat it was going to cost more then the ski was worth.

The hood is SMC and that does chip easy. The bottom is Fiberglass, but I remember reading it's a hybrid on the Kawasaki webpage? The top could be SMC?

Either way, it's probably not the same thing as smc with gelcoat applied to it. I'm pretty sure gelcoat in a production environment is usually done by putting the gelcoat in the mold, then putting the hull material into the mold, so you're adhering the hull material to the gelcoat, not quite the same thing as adhering gelcoat to the hull material.

Kind of like how epoxy will stick to poly, but poly won't stick to epoxy.

I think(?)

I really don't understand why anybody would use gelcoat, it's thicker, heavier, more prone to cracking, stains easier than paint and doesn't hold up to UV, and there is the potential issue with adhesion. Maybe I've just never had GOOD gelcoat.

bird

walking on water
Site Supporter
I really don't understand why anybody would use gelcoat, it's thicker, heavier, more prone to cracking, stains easier than paint and doesn't hold up to UV, and there is the potential issue with adhesion. Maybe I've just never had GOOD gelcoat.

According to CorrectCraft, most people don't put enough GelCoat on their hulls.

Gelcoat in the mould is , by itself, a lot cheaper than painting a part afterward. Thats why its used in low volume consumer products like boats. SMC is a process that uses expensive heated moulds and a press to make a part. This method requires parts to be painted afterwards but ends up being cheaper in the long run because of its speed. "Cheap" is the operative word because SMC parts are not as strong or lightweight but they are dimensionally very good. A cheap cold mould sprayed with polyester and fiberglass is normally used for lower volume parts. SMC material is a dough which cannot use long fibers, plus its full of heavy filler, parts are heavy for their strength. Its okay for racing skis but not so much for a freestyle boat.

Last edited:

SUPERJET-113

GASKETS FOR CHAMP BRAP!
Either way, it's probably not the same thing as smc with gelcoat applied to it. I'm pretty sure gelcoat in a production environment is usually done by putting the gelcoat in the mold, then putting the hull material into the mold, so you're adhering the hull material to the gelcoat, not quite the same thing as adhering gelcoat to the hull material.

Kind of like how epoxy will stick to poly, but poly won't stick to epoxy.

I think(?)

Which manufacturer puts gel coat over SMC? SMC is always painted on all Kawasakis and Yamahas.

Top Bottom