Lubricating Throttle Cables

Allistah

Slacker
Hey all --

Just curious as to what the recommended method for lubricating throttle cables for our watercraft is. I know there is a tool that can help in the process and there are different cans of cable lube that you can get but since these things are under/around water fairly often I'm wondering what the recommended lube would be. I was thinking just WD-40 since it repels water but I thought I'd check to see what others have done and how it has turned out for them.

I WD-40 mine, but I have often wondered if a graphite based lube would be better. We used this on the railroad when I used to work there to lube switches, worked really well and dried on the switch plates to give a more permanent lubricant that didn't pick up sand or grit.

Allistah

Slacker
Yeah, thats what I was thinking... But with the added element of frequent exposure to a lot of water, I wasn't sure how something like that would work out in the long run so I wanted to check with people. I think I might go with WD-40 for now since it repels water unless I hear otherwise.

yamanube

This Is The Way
Staff member
I use two stroke oil, cut the corner off a ziploc bag slide the end of the cable in, close it off with a rubber band, fill the bag with oil, hang it from your handlebars and let gravity do its thing.

control-cables-01.jpg

Quinc

Buy a Superjet
I wonder if it would be worth taking the cable out of the sheath, Micro slicking it, (baked on permanent lube) then feeding it back through the sheath.

bird

walking on water
Site Supporter
I just use my roommates Mountain Bike lube for shifters/brakes. I think it's just sticky high viscosity oil with a small long tube for application. I tried wd-40, I can't notice a difference.

I have yet to have a cable not freeze on me, even with the most lube. I ride late season(Nov,Dec in Wisconsin) and at night the temps drop, during the day they go to the 40s and sometime the dame cable is still stuck!

I use two stroke oil, cut the corner off a ziploc bag slide the end of the cable in, close it off with a rubber band, fill the bag with oil, hang it from your handlebars and let gravity do its thing.

control-cables-01.jpg
I like this method I threw away $7.00 on one of the clamp on special cable lubers POS ., but this method wiil fit ALL cables Nice Yamanube ! ! I like the''' KISS'' methods

yamabro

GP Performance / Patterson Powersports
The way I do it is:
Get a piece of hose 8"-10" long and put it over the cable end and hose clamp it down.
Fill the hose with grease or 2-stroke oil and shove a blow gun in the hose just enough to hose clamp it.
Barely apply a little air pressure and cycle the cable till the grease or oil comes out the other end.
This pushes all moisture out of the cable liner and fills the cavity with lubricant.
I also do this with the steering cable, never fails.

grease!! omg yamabro, you must have forearms like popeye after pulling on a throttle cable full of grease. Ive always used graphite cable lube for motorcross bike cables or wd40. the stuff is super slippery and makes the cable action light and smooth. It does wash out pretty fast but only takes 5 min to relube with a clamp on cable luber.

swapmeet

Brotastic
Very clever methods of solving the problem!
And a very timely post, my throttle cable felt awfully sticky when I was knocking the cobwebs off my ski the other day.

yamanube

This Is The Way
Staff member
Interesting to see this come back up. I have changed to putting some two stroke oil into a small oiling bottle (like a gun oil applicator) and give my throttle cable a couple of drops after every surf ride. One thing I did notice when I recently replaced my throttle cable, it was holding quite a bit of water. Due to each end being up-turned it allowed water to get trapped at the low point. It might be a good idea to occasionally take your cable off of your carb/manifold and let it drain out.

1622744134452.png

Top Bottom