Surfriding Keeping water out of BlackJack Carbs

Bobert540

Site Supporter
I just got from wavehdaze and my boat ran great Friday, it sat all day Saturday and then went to ride Sunday and ski ran like crap. I changed the plugs and the one plug looked fouled. Didn't change anything. I also noticed the top of my prok filters were covered in milky white substance which is mot likely water.

I have blowsion outerwears on them. I do have a coupler cover and run a scupper as well as 2 bilges, which are always running.

I am hoping to take it out in the freshwater tomorrow to see what happens.

Has anyone come up with a stock style intake option for the blackjacks??

Thanks!

Matt_E

steals hub caps from cars
Site Supporter
The solution is to keep the water out of the bilge in the first place. Having a good hood, hoodseal, and fit between them goes a LONG way.
I used to have terrible water intrusion problems on my RN with BJ's and Proks, with a WDK hood and OEM seal.
With my SF, I don't run outerwears anymore because they are not needed. I almost never have water ingestion issues.

Last edited:

Bobert540

Site Supporter
I have an XFT hood that has the dual seal. It is clamped down tight with a ratchet setup. The only time I can see how water would get in is launching from the beach in the surf. when I ride barely any water comes out of the bilges.

SUPERJET-113

GASKETS FOR CHAMP BRAP!
Get rid of the outerwears and do what Matt_E says above..

All outerwears do is block needed air flow to begin with, then when they get wet they block off even more needed air.
Outerwears were designed to keep dust/debris out of your flame arrestor on dirt machines(MX,quads,etc). They are worthless in PWC's.

I put a set on some carbon proks for shts and giggles once on my dual Brap Jack 44's and the ski couldnt even rev correctly(out of water). They block so much air.

Oh, and yes there is a mod that you can put OEM type arrestor on your BJ's. I think Wamiltons makes them and prolly Blowsion sells them too. maybe others, dunno.

Last edited:

Bobert540

Site Supporter
I will take them off tomorrow and see what happens. I have ridden with them before without any problems, but I appreciate all of the input. Just trying to ride more and wrench less lol

do they have that "tornado" look on them? like the center when looking down..
if so that is the issue.
The water gets into the top cone portion, then with the vibrations, jumps out, and directly flows down the side of the filter, into the filter, into the carb.
Same problem I had on my Tau Cetis. Turf the tops, or call up Mark at Rad Dudes and have him send you at some stickers that fit perfectly.

Matt_E

steals hub caps from cars
Site Supporter
Huh. Mine have those tops and I don't have those issues. Keep that water out of the bilge.

SUPERJET-113

GASKETS FOR CHAMP BRAP!
Here are the Thrust model. Lets you use OEM F/A tops. These should work on any aftermarket carb.
These are nice, but pricey. But hey its billet.

Pretty sure Wamiltons makes some too, just a bit different.

Last edited:
Seems as though the black jacks are just a little bit smaller diameter than all of the other carbs by around 1-2 mm. Since the second generation Thrust adapters actually bolt on you should be able to just run a thicker o ring to make up the difference. .5mm to 1mm is nothing a o ring cant fix. I will be fitting a set of thrust adapters to a set of BlackJack 48's in the next month or so when Art finishes my new motor. I will post my results if anyone is interested?

Watty

Random Performance
I found the Thrust adaptors do actually fit the Blackjacks. Not tight light say the Novi, but enough contact to keep water from getting in past the o-rings. And yes, you could also use slightly thicker o-rings, but the two grooves in the adaptor will determine how big they can be.

Bobert540

Site Supporter
Why do Blackjacks ingest water more than say any other carb?

Like Matt_E said, they don't. Up until Thrust came out with the adapters it was hard to find a way to mount a stock flame arrestor to a BJ carb. Other aftermarket carbs were a little easier to be creative with because of the bolt pattern you could make a stock intake work.

Like Matt said, best thing you can do is keep the water out in the first place.

Bobert540

Site Supporter
Seems as though the black jacks are just a little bit smaller diameter than all of the other carbs by around 1-2 mm. Since the second generation Thrust adapters actually bolt on you should be able to just run a thicker o ring to make up the difference. .5mm to 1mm is nothing a o ring cant fix. I will be fitting a set of thrust adapters to a set of BlackJack 48's in the next month or so when Art finishes my new motor. I will post my results if anyone is interested?

Keep me posted please!

Bob, I had the same issues with the ProKs. I quickly discovered the Outerwears are worthless (dry or wet). I never had enough water in the bilge area to pump any out through the bilge pumps but, obvioulsy, there was enough in there to slosh around and eventually saturate the filters. The fix?........pantyhose over the ProKs. Once I went to this I have not had anymore issues with the ProKs - surf or flatwater. Looks ghetto but works great.

Top Bottom