Super Jet Home Depot pink polystyrene foam quesitons

Matt_E

steals hub caps from cars
Site Supporter
1 Sheet.
Don't bother gluing it, it's not providing structure. Just cut half-way accurate chunks that fit together.

McDog

Other Administrator
Staff member
Won't absorb water. .....I pour a little two part on top right before I put tray back in to lock it all down.

I can actually add a lot of knowledge about this particular subject because I used to make stand up paddle boards. There are two types of polystyrene foams -- expanded polystyrene (EPS) which is the white foam that kinda crumbles into beads when you break it. the other kind is extruded polystyrene (XPS) which is the pink boards at home depot. The XPS foam is ideal for your application because it does not absorb water and is structurally much more rigid than EPS foam. however, both of these foams will dissolve if you use any adhesive with a solvent in it. Glues that WILL work are polyurethane based glues (these tend to foam up and expand when drying and are safe with any type of foam) Gorilla glue is a favorite of mine, quick set time and very cheap. epoxy is extremely difficult and expensive to use as an adhesive, but it is true that epoxy is also safe on XPS foam. another cheap and easy alternative is polyurethane construction adhesive (liquid nails) which you can buy in a tube for a caulking gun. hope this helps!

SuperDrifter

Prototyper
Site Supporter
Thanks, for info on adhering XPS foam. Tried all three type of glue you had mentioned, G-glue is best. Damp both services....

Spray-able foam @ home Depot- referenced earlier, (I've seen builds here) using this as an option. Most people know (but some don't), that it is an open cell foam.

SuperHumanJetski

keep it simple
FYI ---- if you are having troubles getting the pieces to sit correctly try taking a blow torch to the pieces when you are all done. This allows you to shape it to how you want. I did this when i shortened my ski and redid the tray. Worked really well.

FYI ---- if you are having troubles getting the pieces to sit correctly try taking a blow torch to the pieces when you are all done. This allows you to shape it to how you want. I did this when i shortened my ski and redid the tray. Worked really well.

I would be VERY careful using this technique. Burning XPS foam will produce poisonous gas that can damage your nervous system. If you'd like to shape the foam, XPS can be shaped just as easily as any other media with a shaving block and sand paper.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom