EZ-SKI HITCH HAULER PICTURES!

How is everyone securing their skis from theft? I have a long road trip coming up (awaiting my EZSki hauler, so I havent used it yet). Wondering if anyone here has suggestions to prevent theft, since I will be parking overnight at several hotels. I was thinking of running some sort of bike lock around the hitch hauler up around the driveshaft (shortened SJ for reference). I am just not sure where the pump intake sits relative to the main hitch hauler beam/support. Not concerned about the hauler to receiver as I have a rather secure & lockable hitch pin.
This is late to the party but here are some theft deterrent points. The area usually dictates the level of security.

A professional will defeat anything but this is pretty rare unless you are in a high crime area (Mexico border regions, San Francisco, Miami, NY, etc) and the item is a sought after target. High security chains will help but a battery operated 4" grinder wrapped in a pillow can defeat anything out in the open.

Do not rely on just coated cables, no matter how thick they are. I had a hi-end mountain bike stolen in San Fran in minutes from my roof bike rack with a high strength cable lock in place. Tweekers (meth heads) and roving thieves commonly carry around cable cutters which can defeat most cables.

Be sure to park either in high traffic areas(front of hotel/visible) or if that is not an option - limited visibility/access, throw tarps over it and use a high quality security chain (12-14mm octagonal) such as a Kryptonite/Schlage chain. Motorcycle wheel U-Locks are pretty effective for securing these chains Again, the area dictates the level of security. Hotels are usually pretty receptive on placing/parking in high visibility areas if you talk to them. If you make it difficult or time consuming it is usually not worth it for thieves.

I have had my bike covers with multiple $6-9000 bikes locked up removed multiple times (sometimes in the same location and multiple nights in a row) and with a Kryptonite NY chain and electronic siren lock they were not touched and moved on. The security cam footage was also useless as they were dressed for the occasion in dark hoodies and unidentifiable. This was an extremely high risk area in California.

Usually I secure my skis on hitch haulers with a security chain wrapped around vehicle frame and a u-lock through bow/stern or intake grate. I make the chain very visible and keep it off the ground (decreased leverage for large bolt cutters). The fiberglass is the weak link here.

Attachments

• JS-Carrier.JPG
    JS-Carrier.JPG
    178.6 KB · Views: 87

CHRIS@EZ-SKI

Lions Among Sheep
This is late to the party but here are some theft deterrent points. The area usually dictates the level of security.

A professional will defeat anything but this is pretty rare unless you are in a high crime area (Mexico border regions, San Francisco, Miami, NY, etc) and the item is a sought after target. High security chains will help but a battery operated 4" grinder wrapped in a pillow can defeat anything out in the open.

Do not rely on just coated cables, no matter how thick they are. I had a hi-end mountain bike stolen in San Fran in minutes from my roof bike rack with a high strength cable lock in place. Tweekers (meth heads) and roving thieves commonly carry around cable cutters which can defeat most cables.

Be sure to park either in high traffic areas(front of hotel/visible) or if that is not an option - limited visibility/access, throw tarps over it and use a high quality security chain (12-14mm octagonal) such as a Kryptonite/Schlage chain. Motorcycle wheel U-Locks are pretty effective for securing these chains Again, the area dictates the level of security. Hotels are usually pretty receptive on placing/parking in high visibility areas if you talk to them. If you make it difficult or time consuming it is usually not worth it for thieves.

I have had my bike covers with multiple $6-9000 bikes locked up removed multiple times (sometimes in the same location and multiple nights in a row) and with a Kryptonite NY chain and electronic siren lock they were not touched and moved on. The security cam footage was also useless as they were dressed for the occasion in dark hoodies and unidentifiable. This was an extremely high risk area in California.

Usually I secure my skis on hitch haulers with a security chain wrapped around vehicle frame and a u-lock through bow/stern or intake grate. I make the chain very visible and keep it off the ground (decreased leverage for large bolt cutters). The fiberglass is the weak link here.
Thank you for this! Great informative write up

Hitch haulers are great. But make sure you have a long tongue on the trailer.. otherwise the winch can hit the ski on the hitch hauler.

Sent from my moto g power (2021) using Tapatalk

Just received my hitch hauler a few weeks ago. Works great! I typically only have a few hundred feet from my house to my ramp.

View attachment 429649
Sick Jeep. I used to have the same look with an EZ Ski Hitch Hauler back in like 2016. Here's mine.
If I remember correctly, I moved from Hawaii to Texas and met with EZ Ski in some no-name town between Havasu and I10 to pick up my order lol.

Attachments

• IMG-6927.JPG
    IMG-6927.JPG
    118.4 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG-6912.JPG
    IMG-6912.JPG
    259.5 KB · Views: 28
Just received my hitch hauler a few weeks ago. Works great! I typically only have a few hundred feet from my house to my ramp.

View attachment 429649
I'm jealous of you guys with the straight hitches on your Jeeps. I have an LOD bumper on my JK and it angles down quite a bit - it looks pretty sketchy with the new Superjet on there, so I only use my Jeep for very short trips just to launch. Normally I just use my truck. My older SN doesn't look nearly as sketchy on the Jeep, since it's so much lighter it doesn't angle down quite as much.

How easy is it to slide the heavy 4-stroke ski on the newer EZ-Skis with that plastic-like material on the rails? I have an older EZ-Ski with the carpeted bunks, and the heavy pig of a ski needs a lot of muscle to slide on and off. Wondering if I should upgrade.

I'm jealous of you guys with the straight hitches on your Jeeps. I have an LOD bumper on my JK and it angles down quite a bit - it looks pretty sketchy with the new Superjet on there, so I only use my Jeep for very short trips just to launch. Normally I just use my truck. My older SN doesn't look nearly as sketchy on the Jeep, since it's so much lighter it doesn't angle down quite as much.

How easy is it to slide the heavy 4-stroke ski on the newer EZ-Skis with that plastic-like material on the rails? I have an older EZ-Ski with the carpeted bunks, and the heavy pig of a ski needs a lot of muscle to slide on and off. Wondering if I should upgrade.
It's a bit of a chore when the EZ ski hitch is dry, (I have jet trim glued to PVC) much easier when wet. I bought a Bronco last winter so I'll be trying it out on that in the next few weeks. I'll post a picture. If I'm going any real length of travel I use my truck.

I ended up buying a second EZ Ski hauler and I didn't put jet trim on the tubes. Much easier to side the 4 stroke onto and off.IMG_7183.jpeg

Sick Jeep. I used to have the same look with an EZ Ski Hitch Hauler back in like 2016. Here's mine.
If I remember correctly, I moved from Hawaii to Texas and met with EZ Ski in some no-name town between Havasu and I10 to pick up my order lol.
That must be memorable, btw this thread make me jealous lol

Top Bottom