Converting 550sx to PJS Intake Manifold & Mikuni SBN 44 ?

WFO Speedracer

A lifetime ban is like a lifetime warranty !
Really? I had the opposite experience on a pjs viper engine that originally had the dual 40mm keihins. Nothing at all against the keihins they're decent carbs, just the mikunis are easier to tube because there's more available parts to tune it. At least in my experience. But I know you worked at a dealer for a while so you probably had all the availability, not to mention that was probably years ago too haha
Yes if they were 38 SBN's maybe so , these were 38 BN carbs, you have to remember when I got in the 550 reed motor game, I had a 550 reed motor before the 550sx reed ski was ever released, I also had one of the first dual carb intake manifolds, Hot Products was the only company making them at the time., 91 was the changeover year from BN to SBN ,me being a Kawasaki mechanic at the time, I knew absolutely nothing about SBN carbs, they simply were not on Kawasakis at that point in time.

E350

Site Supporter
Ok sounds like I should try to rebuild my Keihin.
And possibly get the adapter plate, not the manifold, and try the SBN 44 I already have.
Get a pipe.
And maybe if I actually learn how to tune, get Wax's dual manifold and run dual SBN 44's.

1664240505268.png

Or put money into Yamaha SJ's...

WFO Speedracer

Ok sounds like I should try to rebuild my Keihin.
And possibly get the adapter plate, not the manifold, and try the SBN 44 I already have.
Get a pipe.
And maybe if I actually learn how to tune, get Wax's dual manifold and run dual SBN 44's.

View attachment 430739

Or put money into Yamaha SJ's...
Unless you have a whole lot of motor dual 38's will do all you need it to do, to run dual 44's you probably need lots of porting and a full pipe, in the end you will have a really fast ski that is not a lot of fun to ride. My ski was ported pretty heavily, I ran wiseco windowed pistons for a PJS t1 reed motor, a coffman half pipe. and westcoast dual total loss. I ran stock compression but with a thinner base gasket, spinning a 440 pump with a skat trak 4 blade impeller, it ran awesome with dual 38's

Last edited:
If you really want to do it on the cheap, you can just use 2 short 6mm studs on the stock intake manifold and slot the 2 base holes on the 44 carb until the carb slides on. Port match the manifold to the 44 using the gasket. I've done it on the 750sx manifold to put a 44 mikuni in place of the keihin 40. Basically the same as the 550sx setup. Takes a few minutes

I didn't read this thread completely, but I wanted to mention I recently installed an SBN44 and the PJS intake on my brothers 550SX and it made an incredible difference. The ski rides WAY better. Im sure the Keihin was not tuned properly but I know the Mikuni is, and it was a big difference. 100% worth the swap. Do it however works for you, but rest assured, the carb swap is not a waste of money.

Oh and @E350 The carb does mount "backwards" when using the PJS intake, but there are no issues because of it. Also know that the stock Yamaha flame arrestor will not clear the hood. I ended up using a Jetnetics low style flame arrestor and it seems to work very well. I have several of these that are new and I would gladly sell you 1 if you need it.

https://projetsports.com/product/tfs-filter-system-44-mikuni-standard-kit

Last edited:

WFO Speedracer

I didn't read this thread completely, but I wanted to mention I recently installed an SBN44 and the PJS intake on my brothers 550SX and it made an incredible difference. The ski rides WAY better. Im sure the Keihin was not tuned properly but I know the Mikuni is, and it was a big difference. 100% worth the swap. Do it however works for you, but rest assured, the carb swap is not a waste of money.
I agree going from a single 38 to a 44 will provide a notoicable gain even with a stock exhaust pipe, Kawas are gas hogs they need a single 44 or dual 38's to reach their highest potential.

The Westcoast and pjs aftermarket Reed cylinder manifolds also fits the 550sx cylinder. All the holes line up except the outer 2 and those holes can be easily slotted . Those manifolds take a single 44 or dual 38s. The latest is they are using the stock dual 38s off Yamaha 701 motors on these 550SXs. I had a bunch of new R&E enterprises manifolds a couple years ago out of Henry's stuff but they all sold. Dual 38 and single 44. TC bought one for his kids boat lol

Last edited:

jbex4ford

Certified YouTube Mechanic
I machined my own before you could get the billet one from Watercraft Werks, or the cast one from Watcon.

Attachments

• 58171F29-C599-4BA4-B69B-8E119C5FAE6E.jpg
    58171F29-C599-4BA4-B69B-8E119C5FAE6E.jpg
    148.8 KB · Views: 8
  • B81F8672-8CBC-4082-8B0C-EFC5D964D433.jpg
    B81F8672-8CBC-4082-8B0C-EFC5D964D433.jpg
    141.4 KB · Views: 8
  • F9DDFD1E-92C9-4B92-AA20-3112548ACAB7.jpg
    F9DDFD1E-92C9-4B92-AA20-3112548ACAB7.jpg
    144.1 KB · Views: 10

E350

Site Supporter
The Westcoast and pjs aftermarket Reed cylinder manifolds also fits the 550sx cylinder. All the holes line up except the outer 2 and those holes can be easily slotted . Those manifolds take a single 44 or dual 38s. The latest is they are using the stock dual 38s off Yamaha 701 motors on these 550SXs. I had a bunch of new R&E enterprises manifolds a couple years ago out of Henry's stuff but they all sold. Dual 38 and single 44. TC bought one for his kids boat lol
Yeah but I don’t ride as well as TC’s kid.

Top Bottom