What's your opinion

• Chev/GMC

Votes: 7 41.2%
  • Ford

Votes: 7 41.2%
  • RAM

Votes: 3 17.6%

• Total voters
Had to replace my transmission last weekend. :( New reman I got the gm dealer said most people get about 100k out of them.
The gas gm trucks that have the cylinder cut for fuel mileage is the cause for the trans failures. The trans is programmed to slip the converter while the cylinder cut is activated to limit vibrations and shudders and it causes the converter to come apart and go through the rest of the trans. A good friend and riding buddy is the trans guy at a local shop and probably top 3 most intelligent automotive person I know rebuilds that exact trans several times a month and talks about that exact issue all the time haha. If you can turn that off, you won't have any more trans problems. Gm only has that issue with the vehicles that have the cylinder cut.

Quinc

Buy a Superjet
The gas gm trucks that have the cylinder cut for fuel mileage is the cause for the trans failures. The trans is programmed to slip the converter while the cylinder cut is activated to limit vibrations and shudders and it causes the converter to come apart and go through the rest of the trans. A good friend and riding buddy is the trans guy at a local shop and probably top 3 most intelligent automotive person I know rebuilds that exact trans several times a month and talks about that exact issue all the time haha. If you can turn that off, you won't have any more trans problems. Gm only has that issue with the vehicles that have the cylinder cut.
My truck is older (2012) and doesn't have the cylinder deactivation option.

There is a lot of new technology in vehicles that got started a few years ago. A lot of it is problematic and wont be completely solved any time soon. This will be more an issue for the second and third owners. Almost everything that breaks or wears on many newer trucks is related to stuff that older ones didnt have. The worst part is most fuel cost savings are eaten up over time through repairs. How much depends on depends on your handiness and luck. New vehicle depreciation alone makes the whole thing a very bad idea for most buyers.

GM hasn't made a good transmission since the 70's.

MarkWalker

Site Supporter
I was all in on a New Tundra double cab. I put money down. (Refundable) The dealer got a demo in. I looked at it, opened the rear door and was shocked there was absolutely no room for legs and feet! Deal breaker. FB_IMG_1643234785056.jpgFB_IMG_1643234795456.jpg

I was all in on a New Tundra double cab. I put money down. (Refundable) The dealer got a demo in. I looked at it, opened the rear door and was shocked there was absolutely no room for legs and feet! Deal breaker. View attachment 421335View attachment 421336
The crew cab has all the room in the back. I used to work for Toyota, I swear the older 08+ tundra double cab had more room than that in the back. That's nothing there
I have a 07 Double cab now. 100% more room in the back than the 2022.
Woah, my 08 Tundra double, not crew, looks way roomier than that, WTF?

Funny you bring this up, first thing I noticed about this is how much is going on between the 10spd automatic and the auto start/stop. I hope I don't have to add batteries and starters like washer fluid. Can anyone give a LTR on the 10spd automatic?

Funny you bring this up, first thing I noticed about this is how much is going on between the 10spd automatic and the auto start/stop. I hope I don't have to add batteries and starters like washer fluid. Can anyone give a LTR on the 10spd automatic?
I'm on my second truck with the 10spd. No issues. I find it very smooth. It's interesting to watch it accelerate and skip every second gear if you have the RPM up enough. I only had the last one four years, so nothing too long term.

I'm on my second truck with the 10spd. No issues. I find it very smooth. It's interesting to watch it accelerate and skip every second gear if you have the RPM up enough. I only had the last one four years, so nothing too long term.
Glad to hear it! What kind of mileage was on your first? Did you have the auto start/stop?

Glad to hear it! What kind of mileage was on your first? Did you have the auto start/stop?
I lease now because I don't do much driving anymore. It had 60k. It had the auto start/stop. No battery issues, no starter issues, but I didn't have it long enough to develop something. The battery is huge, so it should be okay. It's not like the really small and cheap quality battery honda uses that crap out the day your warranty runs out.

My side hustle is to drive cars between Toronto and the Miami area for snowbirds. I've driven a lot of high end cars with all the features. It's obvious that Ford puts a lot of R&D into their features. The start/stop on my F150 and my wife's Escape are very smooth compared to other brands. The only cars that have more "refined" features seems to be Mercedes. Japanese brands like Acura, Lexus, Genesis features are just there to say they have them. I turn off all of their driver assists. BMW is nice, but I feel like Ford is at a similar level.

My wife drives in stop/go traffic to work every day. Her Escape has 125km on it over four years and hasn't had a single issue other than two cracked windshields from stones hitting it. Her stop/start is used very often. I'd expect the Escape to have issues before the overbuilt F150.

Last edited:
I lease now because I don't do much driving anymore. It had 60k. It had the auto start/stop. No battery issues, no starter issues, but I didn't have it long enough to develop something. The battery is huge, so it should be okay. It's not like the really small and cheap quality battery honda uses that crap out the day your warranty runs out.

My side hustle is to drive cars between Toronto and the Miami are for snowbirds. I've driven a lot of high end cars with all the features. It's obvious that Ford puts a lot of R&D into their features. The start/stop on my F150 and my wife's Escape are very smooth compared to other brands. The only cars that have more "refined" features seems to be Mercedes. Acura, Lexus, Genesis features are just there to say they have them. I turn off all driver assists. BMW is nice, but I feel like Ford is at a similar level.

My wife drives in stop/go traffic to work every day. Her Escape has 125km on it over four years and hasn't had a single issue other than two cracked windshields from stones hitting it. Her stop/start is used very often. I'd expect the Escape to have issues before the overbuilt F150.
Thanks for the info!

Top Bottom