Career out of High school

I was an automotive mechanic until I could get into college and I used that to pay for my college. During college I took some random, poopty paying job that paid $35k salary doing BIM coordination in Manhattan. I had no interest in that industry, I had to pay $300 a month for the train, went to school full time, and commuted 2 hours round trip on the train. It sucked, but I worked hard for that $35k and that salary increased really fast. I doubled it in less than 2 years and found my way into designing electrical systems. I learned some skills that were in high demand and kept jumping jobs and asking for more money. Eventually I was making enough money that I stopped going to college. I didn't fall into that "follow your passion" and instead I was an opportunist. Now I pour my money into things that are my passion. Next stop is working from "home" which is where ever I choose that to be.
Other people my age are doing well working union jobs in NYC. My brother just got into the elevator union and is busting his ass. And that job will exceed my job's pay really soon. The difference is he will have to work very hard for that money. Sometimes I wonder if I should be in the elevator union too. $150k+ after OT? Sign me up.

It's also really fun to watch useless sacks of chit keep their jobs because the union protects them.
I will not work union again, ever.
Theres definately an element of that, like protecting guys that either cant show up or show up drunk. The union came in handy when an A-hole supervisor threw the contract at me and said "where does it say I have to be fair"? I smiled, threw it back and said "where does it say I have to do any work". Dudes head exploded!

OCD Solutions

Original, Clean and Dependable Solutions
Site Supporter
Vendor Account
Honestly, that's still probably more to do with management than union. A poorly managed company coupled with a union most likely results in a poorly run union as well.
I worked for one company where the management wrote the contract heavily in their favor and then shopped for a union that would sign it. They did it early with only 13 of the workers on the payroll knowing that a full compliment was 75+. Rules state that a majority of the workers must be in place prior to organizing a union so we were able to oust the managements union and bring in another but we were stuck with the contract for 5 years.

Each region has it's own issues and culture to deal with as well. We have an issue at one of our sites with people who would rather sit on welfare than work. Even though Georgia is a right to work state, this region within it somehow supports the workers. We have been trying to get rid of one guy who shows up drunk, sleeps all shift and is just in general is a poor excuse for a human. They got their ducks in a row and terminated him and he lawyered up, (free from the state), with an unlawful dismissal charge. It won't hold up in court but it will cost triple digits to fight it. They are asking for half that in a settlement because they have done it in the past and know it is a way to milk the system for more money. I was extremely impressed when our management called BS on giving him a single dime and and brought him back to work and have been riding him hard to perform at the required level. He's learning the hard way that our money needs to be earned!

Exaclty! I think I’m going to stick with hvac and see where it takes me since everyone will always need a/c. I’ll do powersports in the side.
Everybody has had great advice, however, I would still advise whatever you choose learn to love it and if not (goes back to that attitude thing) , move on. I am doing something totally differently than what I went to school for (aerospace-airway science) . Even though what I do for a living (professional photographer) is no longer a hobby that I pursue on my off time, I still love going into the studio every day and making a mark in helping others capture times in a certain way. I do believe the phrase "love what you do and never work a day in your life". Again attitude! In the course of the 20 years in business, sure there have been times that i felt uninspired. Am I making tons of money--far from it. Will my retirement years be a challenge--probably. Still, I feel I made the right choice, and would do it again. My bills are paid and if I had tons of money, I would probably just want more of it.
I honestly think a key ingredient to long term success in business is passion!!! With it the rewards will come later. I'm sure someone like Chris from Jetmaniac Rick Roy from rrp or others in motorsports technology that have been around a while and exude passion, would probably agree. Heck, this forum has been around for a while and probably wouldn't exist if not!

smokeysevin

one man with a couch
I did SAE baja in college, didnt open that many doors. Got a killer job at an aerospace company right out of school just by walking in the door and asking for a job lol, took me a couple years to grow into the position, but it is tits now.
Nice, I was a dirty fsae kid. The rest of the team shat the bed and we didn't pass tech. I was supposed to drive and had bought all my gear and paid for flights only to find out the day of our car didn't run and the brakes didn't work. Im still pissed about that.

Sean

Nice, I was a dirty fsae kid. The rest of the team shat the bed and we didn't pass tech. I was supposed to drive and had bought all my gear and paid for flights only to find out the day of our car didn't run and the brakes didn't work. Im still pissed about that.

Sean
Ha, dude we spent the entire 4 day competition just trying to get through tech lol. We made it through in the end but wtf, I hate the SAE with a passion for how dumb their events are. Baja only gets a 15hp engine that goes in a maybe 300, probably 400 # vehicle. Even the best cars in the comp didnt look like any fun at all.

Ha, dude we spent the entire 4 day competition just trying to get through tech lol. We made it through in the end but wtf, I hate the SAE with a passion for how dumb their events are. Baja only gets a 15hp engine that goes in a maybe 300, probably 400 # vehicle. Even the best cars in the comp didnt look like any fun at all.
I worked in engineering for a few years. Those guys were (for the most part) very intelligent. Extremely rare to find one who can ride and wrench though. Probably from lack of interest and/or being too fat as a kid.

One year update!
I did commercial hvac for a year and ended up not finding a passion it it at all! And the company i was working for sold out to an “investment company”

I was working with my father because I had gotten my cdl permit and needed experience to be able to take the driving test to get my class a cdl.
I just got a call back from our local power company and I have an interview Tuesday for a groundsman postion and then work my way the a journeysman

Sparkplug

Site Supporter
72k salary in Northern California as a fleet mechanic for a golf course. With good benefits. Median income for the area is about 30k single. If your good at something, you will make good money doing it. Just pursue it. Don't listen to anyone that says otherwise.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Sparkplug

Site Supporter
If I did it again. As lame as it might sound. I'd do ups. My buddy did it at 19. He just retired. At 39 years old. And gets a little under 6k a month for the rest of his life. Not a bad gig. He said it was kinda poopty starting. And rough in the seasonal months. But chill otherwise. Imagine being 40 yrs old and just chilling with cash every month for the rest of your life.

Also. Utility companies. They pay well and have good retirement. Along with any kind of dam/power generation work.

If you want to make alot of money. Alot. Fast. Talking 100k+ within your first few years. Join a traveling contractor. I know of a few looking for young guys willing to sell their soul to the road. You get to see the country, and work with pretty cool smart guys, all while learning a ton. And they pay you excellent for it. Be prepared to be single though.

Bottom line. If you can't make money doing exactly what you want to do, go for the retirement plan. The most money the soonest. Life is about enjoying it and imo that's the easiest most assured way.

Tha
If I did it again. As lame as it might sound. I'd do ups. My buddy did it at 19. He just retired. At 39 years old. And gets a little under 6k a month for the rest of his life. Not a bad gig. He said it was kinda poopty starting. And rough in the seasonal months. But chill otherwise. Imagine being 40 yrs old and just chilling with cash every month for the rest of your life.

Also. Utility companies. They pay well and have good retirement. Along with any kind of dam/power generation work.

If you want to make alot of money. Alot. Fast. Talking 100k+ within your first few years. Join a traveling contractor. I know of a few looking for young guys willing to sell their soul to the road. You get to see the country, and work with pretty cool smart guys, all while learning a ton. And they pay you excellent for it. Be prepared to be single though.

Bottom line. If you can't make money doing exactly what you want to do, go for the retirement plan. The most money the soonest. Life is about enjoying it and imo that's the easiest most assured way.

Thanks man I really appreciate the advice!!!!!

Yami-Rider

TigerCraft FV-PRO
I went to school and was trained in atv/motorcycle/pwc, did the powersport deal for a little while, but found out there is way more money in boat repair, so now all I do in boat and pwc. I also live right next to a big lake.

Ducky

Back in the game!
I went to school and was trained in atv/motorcycle/pwc, did the powersport deal for a little while, but found out there is way more money in boat repair, so now all I do in boat and pwc. I also live right next to a big lake.

Yea service for pwc and boats is boomin' right now. Especially if you can do mobile service.

SXIPro

JM781 Big Bore
Site Supporter
Firefighter or Cop. Tons of overtime if you want it while you're young, decent money, and a ridiculously nice pension plan even if you retire at the crusty old age of 50.

long beach local

long beach local
One year update!
I did commercial hvac for a year and ended up not finding a passion it it at all! And the company i was working for sold out to an “investment company”

I was working with my father because I had gotten my cdl permit and needed experience to be able to take the driving test to get my class a cdl.
I just got a call back from our local power company and I have an interview Tuesday for a groundsman postion and then work my way the a journeysman
Good Luck to you. I hope you enjoy linework. If it suits you it can be a lot of fun the day goes by quick when you enjoy it. It’s a dangerous but rewarding job and pays Very well especially if you want to travel,chase storms and or overtime. Young lineman out here in California are making 400k a year.

Good Luck to you. I hope you enjoy linework. If it suits you it can be a lot of fun the day goes by quick when you enjoy it. It’s a dangerous but rewarding job and pays Very well especially if you want to travel,chase storms and or overtime. Young lineman out here in California are making 400k a year.
Thank you for the kind words! Interview went good today and I think I have a good shot at the job!

Hope you get the job! I like working for a public utility. I agree the contract work is for the people that want to make money, I hear our contractor guys making about $300k plus. Our lineman who are home (usually) are making about $250k with a great pension. I'm just a lowsy mechanic... (lots of overtime, made $210k last year). Our groundsmen here average about 1000 hours of overtime and most made over $150k.

Think about your future. You will eventually want to work less and still have a decent standard of living. People are too different in their abilities and personalities to accept much in the way of career advice. All I will say is stay far away from aviation !!!

Top Bottom