AV100LL available in socal?

Curious if anyone else has a reliable way of getting ahold of it here in socal. I imagine john wayne airport will tell me to piss off when i pull up in my truck with a bunch of 5ers ready to go.

Mike W

Infidel
Curious if anyone else has a reliable way of getting ahold of it here in socal. I imagine john wayne airport will tell me to piss off when i pull up in my truck with a bunch of 5ers ready to go.
When I used to get it at my local air park, I had to sign a paper saying it was for my “airboat”. Not sure how many airboats you have in California but that was our workaround here in Florida.

Diametunim

Throwin around a 550
Just go into the FBO and speak to whomever is at the front desk and explain the situation. I don't think it will be a big deal. Alternately, wait until there's no planes at the fuel stop and walk out there with your cans and act like you belong.

Quinc

Buy a Superjet
Look for some little podunk airports. Airport I go to doesn't even have a fence or a gate. I drive right up to the pump. Also be careful when buying the fuel there is an option for a 5000$ hold to be placed on your card. *You will also need to increase your jet sizes when running 100ll. There is a thread or two on here with more info.

Look for some little podunk airports. Airport I go to doesn't even have a fence or a gate. I drive right up to the pump. Also be careful when buying the fuel there is an option for a 5000$ hold to be placed on your card. *You will also need to increase your jet sizes when running 100ll. There is a thread or two on here with more info.
Yup.

Attachments

• 20240329_085728.jpg
    20240329_085728.jpg
    133.6 KB · Views: 15
Get on airnav.com. it'll have you punch in your zip code for airports near you. Then get on the phone and call and find out if you can walk in there and fill cans or drive in and fill drums. I was getting two 55 gallon drums full at 3.99 a gallon

Anyone have a link to the thread about jetting for 100LL handy?
I have yet to tune any carburetors but im setting myself up to tune a js550 with a high compression head. Im using this thread as my bible at this point.

Goes very in depth but not to the point where i feel like i cant follow. Many examples and many easy to follow rules.

Hardest part for me is because i effectively 0 experience its hard for me to have a starting point for reference. Kind of like how someone with golfing experience would know which club to use for the most effective hit at a certain distance. Im basically golfing with a putter trying to shoot 500 yards.

Thankfully iv had a few people give a reference point but i imagine after tuning a few skis ill have a decent understanding on where to start for certain setups.

Last edited:

Mike W

Infidel
Not sure what your compression is but my SJ was at 180psi. I just mixed 50/50 100LL with 89 non-ethanol. My understanding is 100LL burns cooler than regular gas so you have to mix it. Could be wrong so don’t take that as gospel.

bored&stroked

Urban redneck
Not sure what your compression is but my SJ was at 180psi. I just mixed 50/50 100LL with 89 non-ethanol. My understanding is 100LL burns cooler than regular gas so you have to mix it. Could be wrong so don’t take that as gospel.
Talk about over doing it. I've been running like 220psi with a 2gal 91 to 1 gal 100LL mix for years now.
OP-sucks but that's cali for you. Here in AZ I pull up the pump on the airport, stick my card in and fill whatever I want.

There's benefits to running 100ll other than the octane level. The lead in the fuel holds a very stable octane level and has excellent detonation resistance due to the lead in the fuel. Plus it doesn't absorb moisture or loose its octane over time like regular pump gas. The only con is availability. It is a little more expensive than pump gas but the expense is wellù worth If you can get it

Top Bottom