Any other diabetic riders?

Mike W

Infidel
My son is 22 and is type 1. Diagnosed when he was 18 and is hereditary on his moms side. He manages his with a pump on his bisep and has an app on his phone where he can monitor his blood sugar in real time. When it gets too low or too high his phone will alert him.

My son is 22 and is type 1. Diagnosed when he was 18 and is hereditary on his moms side. He manages his with a pump on his bisep and has an app on his phone where he can monitor his blood sugar in real time. When it gets too low or too high his phone will alert him.
I’m 28 and was diagnosed 2 years ago type 1. Getting a continuous glucose monitor and was wondering if anyone had experience with how they stayed on while ridding. I don’t need a pump yet but may in the future.
What about going full keto or meat only? Do you still need to do the shots?
Keto works/helps on some level and does reduce my number of injections. Long term it can be unhealthy. Your body needs carbs for brain/hormone function. I went keto after diagnosis and lost 40 pounds. I’ll also add I was never big to begin with

Quinc

Buy a Superjet
I’m 28 and was diagnosed 2 years ago type 1. Getting a continuous glucose monitor and was wondering if anyone had experience with how they stayed on while ridding. I don’t need a pump yet but may in the future.

Keto works/helps on some level and does reduce my number of injections. Long term it can be unhealthy. Your body needs carbs for brain/hormone function. I went keto after diagnosis and lost 40 pounds. I’ll also add I was never big to begin with
Negative, your body needs fats for those things. Your body does not need carbs at all.

Went over a few studies on pubmed and looks like low carb/keto benefit type 2 more so then type 1.

SXIPro

JM781 Big Bore
Site Supporter
Negative, your body needs fats for those things. Your body does not need carbs at all.

Went over a few studies on pubmed and looks like low carb/keto benefit type 2 more so then type 1.
Biggest benefit with Keto for me, besides looking better at 56 than I did at 26, is that I finally sleep thru the night, which I haven't done in decades, plus I have so much more energy and just plain feel more 'alive' all the time. Plus meatloaf using pork rinds as a binder and then wrapped in bacon....That's enough excuse right there!

Biggest benefit with Keto for me, besides looking better at 56 than I did at 26, is that I finally sleep thru the night, which I haven't done in decades, plus I have so much more energy and just plain feel more 'alive' all the time. Plus meatloaf using pork rinds as a binder and then wrapped in bacon....That's enough excuse right there!
Keto is basically a rebranded Atkins.

Seeing if there are any other riders out with with diabetes? If so how do you manage your sugar while out ridding?
My daughter is type 1 and has a glucose monitor. To answer your question you won’t be able to wear the monitor while in the water, at least my daughter can’t because her monitor isn’t water proof. We check her sugar before she rides and if she at a decent level 100-150 she will eat a snack before she rides.

My daughter is type 1 and has a glucose monitor. To answer your question you won’t be able to wear the monitor while in the water, at least my daughter can’t because her monitor isn’t water proof. We check her sugar before she rides and if she at a decent level 100-150 she will eat a snack before she rides.
That’s the info I was looking for. Was thinking about getting a smaller fire extinguisher and putting some supplies where the extinguisher case sits in the hood

VXSXH20

Sionis Industries
Check out insulet Omnipod, we use them to manage type 1. They are waterproof and have to be changed out every 3 days. If you are just rec riding and swimming I can tell you we’ve had great results. Water parks, roller coasters, bike rides etc. excluding anything aggressive or hard landing in the water such as freestyle or racing you should be fine.

you’ll have a separate PDM that is like a blackberry that controls it. The Omnipod does not measure sugar in real time though. You need a separate monitor for that. We always carry snacks and Capri suns along with a glucose tester to check a couple times a day. Bear in mind it’s just a vehicle to deliver insulin, another gadget and something to have issues every now and then. We have had issues with pods right out of the box sound alarms or the cannula ( tube that injects into your skin) not inserting fully. But 99 percent of the time they work flawlessly . Much better than some competitors pump products we gave up on.

Nothing can replace a old fashion finger stick and reading when you feel “off”.

Check out insulet Omnipod, we use them to manage type 1. They are waterproof and have to be changed out every 3 days. If you are just rec riding and swimming I can tell you we’ve had great results. Water parks, roller coasters, bike rides etc. excluding anything aggressive or hard landing in the water such as freestyle or racing you should be fine.

you’ll have a separate PDM that is like a blackberry that controls it. The Omnipod does not measure sugar in real time though. You need a separate monitor for that. We always carry snacks and Capri suns along with a glucose tester to check a couple times a day. Bear in mind it’s just a vehicle to deliver insulin, another gadget and something to have issues every now and then. We have had issues with pods right out of the box sound alarms or the cannula ( tube that injects into your skin) not inserting fully. But 99 percent of the time they work flawlessly . Much better than some competitors pump products we gave up on.

Nothing can replace a old fashion finger stick and reading when you feel “off”.
I just got the dexcon g6 they say it’s water proof and doesn’t come off easy. I told them I’ll take it for a spin this summer on the water, they gave me some kt tape patches to help it stay on. We shall see how it works

Top Bottom