62t 701 bog

The ski was given to me and was told that the carbs need to be rebuilt (1994 wave raider). Apparently it sat for 5 years In my dads driveway. Rebuilt the carbs, tested pop off pressure and everything checked out when i slapped it back on. i didnt have a carb base gasket but i used some gasket maker where the gasket broke just as a quick fix. Started the ski up and zing zing. Throttle response felt great but didnt run it too long.

Took it out to locally to play out front of the harbor because my coworker just rebuilt a 55 mercury outboard on a glassbar and decided for both our sakes its better to go together.

Ski ran fine for about the 20 mins to getting out of the harbor. Got out and started throwing the hammer down on the throttle. All was good for about 5 minutes, and then i noticed it would bog pretty hard as soon as it was reaching full rpm, tried it a few more times same result. Then i kind of started easing into the throttle to full speed and it did well to about 3/4 throttle then would fall off again. Everytime i reached past that 3/4 it would fall on its face. Decided to turn around and head back. As i was heading back i noticed that the throttle response was hit and miss, sometimes i would rev up and it would be slow to get up and othertimes it would wake up. Got back to the ramp, pulled it out of the water and cleaned it out with wash down. Throttle response completely fine out of the water, but again didnt run it too long out of the water.

Friends suggested running a little bit of seafoam through the gas to see if their could have been a dirty line that finally let loose after it has sat for so long.

I know both my dads friend and my dad (both previous owners) didnt mess with the carbs adjustments so im fairly certain it shouldnt have to be adjusted as it is the same as it would have been from the factory.

1 Should i run seafoam through it?
2 Aside from the carb base gasket that i now have in hand, what else should i consider before doing a leak down test?

Check the one way valve, the fiter in the carb, could be the reeds, Are you sure there is no water in the gas?
Thats a good point ill check the valve. Just changed the filters in the carb but ill pull it apart again. I should just get a new set of reeds. Not likely to be water, not really seeing any possibility. It be different if it was standup but its a couch.

DylanS

Gorilla Smasher
Did you rebuild those carbs with genuine kits? Is the gas fresh? Does it still have the oem fuel filter? Does it have the factory fuel selector switch ? Compression test after your maiden voyage?

I personally would avoid the Ol’ throw some sea foam at it approach :)
Oem line is pretty good stuff and I haven’t ever seen it break down internally. If you flushed that tank and put new gas in it odds are it’s not water/dirt.
I’ve seen big pieces of debris in oem filters sit at the bottom of the filter then work their way onto the outlet side and restrict flow. The fuel selector knobs are also notorious for air leaks.
If it was me I’d put a proper gasket on your carbs and run line right from the pickup to a new filter right to the carbs for testing purpose.

WFO Speedracer

A lifetime ban is like a lifetime warranty !
I have defiantly seen OEM fuel line break down when this old , you are talking about 25 year old fuel line, as a matter of fact I just rebuilt the carbs on two Waveraiders a few months back, both needed all the fuel lines replaced.

I will tell you what I know for sure , on all dual carb 701-760 engines the low speed screws are set way too lean from the factory , try turning them out about 1.5 turns from the position they are at currently and readjust the idle back up, if it works you have spent nothing and will have a great running ski that actually starts , if not you have spent no money and you can always put the screws back to the original settings.

Did you rebuild those carbs with genuine kits? Is the gas fresh? Does it still have the oem fuel filter? Does it have the factory fuel selector switch ? Compression test after your maiden voyage?

I personally would avoid the Ol’ throw some sea foam at it approach :)
Oem line is pretty good stuff and I haven’t ever seen it break down internally. If you flushed that tank and put new gas in it odds are it’s not water/dirt.
I’ve seen big pieces of debris in oem filters sit at the bottom of the filter then work their way onto the outlet side and restrict flow. The fuel selector knobs are also notorious for air leaks.
If it was me I’d put a proper gasket on your carbs and run line right from the pickup to a new filter right to the carbs for testing purpose.
Fairly certain they where genuine kits. Gas was drained completely before it sat other than what was in the lines im sure.

No on compression test due to lack of time. Had to run to a wedding after getting off the water so basically flushed and washed.

Okay, fuel line hook up noted.

I have defiantly seen OEM fuel line break down when this old , you are talking about 25 year old fuel line, as a matter of fact I just rebuilt the carbs on two Waveraiders a few months back, both needed all the fuel lines replaced.

I will tell you what I know for sure , on all dual carb 701-760 engines the low speed screws are set way too lean from the factory , try turning them out about 1.5 turns from the position they are at currently and readjust the idle back up, if it works you have spent nothing and will have a great running ski that actually starts , if not you have spent no money and you can always put the screws back to the original settings.
No issues with the start or idle. But next time i pull the carbs off i will mess with it a little bit to see if any noticable changes.

What is your choice of fuel line? I have plenty of extremely thick fuel line here at the diesel shop but its huge.

Top Bottom