5200 didn't stick to my footholds

A couple years ago when I installed my footholds, I used 5200. I sanded and wiped with acetone both the footholds and painted surface of my ski. When I removed the footholds to inspect some hull damage, I found that the 5200 didn't stick at all to my holds and had been letting in a little bit of water. :confused: I only used one layer of 4oz cloth around the edges, which didn't help much. The holds came out super easy once i drilled out the rivets. The 5200 on the gunwhales adhered normally. The footholds are Blowsion Kickers or Diggers. Just thought I'd post what I found and see if anyone had any input. That was my first foothold installation. Next time I'll just use West System and 404.

Attachments

• 000_0339.jpg
    000_0339.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 76
Last edited:

Matt_E

steals hub caps from cars
Site Supporter
My input: I'd always use glass & epoxy to do footholds.
5200 is nice, but not right for this job.

Mike W

Infidel
A couple years ago when I installed my footholds, I used 5200. I sanded and wiped with acetone both the footholds and painted surface of my ski. When I removed the footholds to inspect some hull damage, I found that the 5200 didn't stick at all to my holds and had been letting in a little bit of water. :confused: I only used one layer of 4oz cloth around the edges, which didn't help much. The holds came out super easy once i drilled out the rivets. The 5200 on the gunwhales adhered normally. The footholds are Blowsion Kickers or Diggers. Just thought I'd post what I found and see if anyone had any input. That was my first foothold installation. Next time I'll just use West System and 404.

I learned the hard way myself. On my current ski I used 404 so I'm sure the footholds will never come out.

Cabosil is a good additive for epoxy resin to make a glue/putty, not much fun for sanding. For sanding I like sm fairing additive. Us composites has alot of additives.

P

PancakePete

5200 sucks... and if you do use it. glas over.. and make purdy.

Top Bottom