NW FX1 Build w/TOM 21 144 pump tunnel swap.

I did a ton of sanding today followed by a wash and pressure wash. I took down the excess glue ass much as I could around the seams and mounts. I sanded the interior of the hull and mounting plates with 80 grit. The hull is ready to be reinforced now. Any suggestions on reinforcement?

Also does anyone have any input on how and what to mount a pump shoe with?

Merry Christmas y'all.

Attachments

• IMG_4960.jpg
    IMG_4960.jpg
    177.5 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_4962.jpg
    IMG_4962.jpg
    211.8 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_4964.jpg
    IMG_4964.jpg
    145.6 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_4965.jpg
    IMG_4965.jpg
    115.2 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_4966.jpg
    IMG_4966.jpg
    118.8 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_4967.jpg
    IMG_4967.jpg
    118.9 KB · Views: 19

brapperdoodle

Site Supporter
I'd use no more than 1 layer of 1208 biax to keep the weight down. I used 1708 biax but I always over-do everything and build stuff for surf abuse, plus my hull had a big crack under the rail on the exhaust side that I didn't even know was there. That glue can be removed with a sharp chisel, using it as a blade and tapping it gently at an angle you can cut the glue away easily. Twisting the chisel will also gently pry the excess glue away from the hull. You'll want to lay the ski on its side and fill the bond line with thickened epoxy and chopped strand before trying to lay your reinforcement on the gunnels or engine bay. I always use RTV silicone for the pump shoe, it is very strong and removable if necessary. Its also easy to clean up when installing the shoe. I tape it all off on the shoe and tunnel and then spread a generous amount on any contact area, install the shoe and then wipe away the excess and remove the tape before its cured. Some people use 5200 but I think that's overkill and would be a nightmare to try and replace if you ever had to. RTV is way stronger than most people think...

Also, try to get that glue off the pump side of the bulkhead. FX-1's are notorious for leaking around the bulkhead so you will want to reseal around the bulkhead with 5200! Do it on the backside so if you make a mess nobody will see it haha

Last edited:

Sanoman

themadnesssetsin
Site Supporter
“Some people use 5200 but I think that's overkill and would be a nightmare to try and replace if you ever had to. RTV is way stronger than most people think...”
Brappadoodle

Have to agree.Wondering where,who,or why the whole 5200 started? Anyone that had a 550 way back used RTV silicone to secure the pump shoe.And didn’t have much problem with it coming out.

@DrewOregonian not sure if anyone answered your question? “Also does anyone have any input on how and what to mount a pump shoe with?” Or l misread the question. But 4 stainless screws will hold the shoe in place as you attempt to align the pump.You may have to shim it for perfect alignment

Top Bottom