Super Jet Hull damage- slow water drip after a month

Hit a rock about a month ago. I've been letting it dry out for about a month now. It's still leaking water slowly from the damage area. Any tips to help speed up this process? I've been using an oil heater plugged in underneath the damage.

Also, how would you go about fixing the damage? It's on the back right corner of the ski. Would just epoxy and filler be fine? It's maybe 1/8" deep.

Thanks!

Attachments

• 20160118_181151.jpg
    20160118_181151.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 127

Vumad

Super Hero, with a cape!
If water is leaking out, you probably have a lot of intrusion in the foam. Drill a 1/8" hole on the back at the low point of yhe chine and see what comes out. You can plug this hole with some thickened epoxy.

As for you damage there, you could halfass patch it with a piece of glass and some thickened epoxy, but you shoukd grind out the damage, then repair it properly. The repair isnt complicated. Grind out the junk. Shove a piece of foam in the hole if you had to go all the way through the glass, then fill the hole with glass, then cove it all with an appropriate overlap.

Hey thanks for the advice! I ended up drilling a small hole and no water seems to be coming out. It's only dripping from the damage area? The hole I drilled is definitely at a low point, even have the nose propped up!

Vumad

Super Hero, with a cape!
Hey thanks for the advice! I ended up drilling a small hole and no water seems to be coming out. It's only dripping from the damage area? The hole I drilled is definitely at a low point, even have the nose propped up!

Then you have to decide how much work you're willing to do. I would probably just grind out all the damage, and cut out any wet foam on that spot. Depending on how long the damage was present, you could have saturated water into the damaged glass. It won't bond right to that. The easiest way to do the job, cut out everything involved, pour some 2 part boat foam in there, or if you don't have that, just cram a bunch of pink board in it, sand and shape, layup several layers of glass in the hole, then cover the hole and the glass plug with a few layers of glass overlap.

eastcoastjumper

James
Site Supporter
Mix up epoxy/hardner and filler thick so it doesn't drip and schmear it back up. I wouldn't go crazy. Its stock hull, the foam will get wet eventually anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Go to you local auto parts store and get a fiberglass repair kit because it comes with cloth (I use Bondo's). Then got to home Depot and get a few .99$ throw away brushes and get after it. I have done this multiple times on different hulls and never had a problem. It will take a few layers and some sanding, but it is a good way to learn. But like said before water is going to get in eventually.

And if you want you can also get some body filler to smooth it out, then a little primer and some white paint and you are back on the water the next day

Go to you local auto parts store and get a fiberglass repair kit because it comes with cloth (I use Bondo's). Then got to home Depot and get a few .99$ throw away brushes and get after it. I have done this multiple times on different hulls and never had a problem. It will take a few layers and some sanding, but it is a good way to learn. But like said before water is going to get in eventually.

And if you want you can also get some body filler to smooth it out, then a little primer and some white paint and you are back on the water the next day

Be sure the fiberglass kit you purchase is epoxy resin....

Top Bottom