Superjet sponsons crazy at high speeds

So I've been riding stand ups for many moons and I now ride an 04 sj with all your standard bolt on goodies and footholds. The ski has been amazing as far as power, stability etc etc for the last couple years. I recently decided to step up and add some front sponsons that I ordered from tom21/#zero
That everyone raves about. I glassed them in perfect and smooth and they look amazing. After putting my ski in the water I can practically lay the ski on its side and turn and it hooks up amazing... The carving is like never before. My concern is that I basically can't ride over 30mph now without fearing for my life. I use to be able to play in small flat water areas for awhile and then take off across the lake cruising 40-50 mph without a care in the world in search of every cove around. Then when we go the river we play around and also cruise up and down river at constant speeds of 35-40mph... Now as I pass about 25mph I feel there is no total control.. The ski will grab left and grab right as I'm just going straight and eventually buck me off.. Its like a white knuckle experience I've never had before.. Did I just inherit a problem with the tubbies, or is there something that can fix this? Has anyone else used these same sponsons?20131002_173046.jpg

Half flip95

Formerly pondracer95
I recently installed these same sponsons. if the water is glass and your going over 50 you need to balance with body positioning. it looks like a clean install so imsure you measured it a million times but for it to get too wild at 30mph tells me that both sides are not even

That design will pull down whenever they touch smooth water, you wont notice it nearly as much in rough water though. Mounting them a little higher will keep them dry when doing speed runs on glass. They will still work the same when you lean and turn.

Agree with kevbo.....I have 2 RN's with the same type of tubbies installed ....the one has the tubbies bottom edges flush with the bottom of the hull....its as unstable as hell in a straight line, but carves very well...the other I mounted the tubbies about 1 cm higher up the side....its as stable as ever at speed and still carves extremely well....I would remount my own tubbies on the unstable RN if i had not glassed them in and put a custom paint job on it....the instability at speed happens on glass water and even gets worse when the water is a bit mushy, like offshore riding beyond the surf line.

Vumad

Super Hero, with a cape!
I have destroyers. Rides like stock in a straight line. I do get some rocking at about 20-30 but it goes away as I go faster. Never rode the set you have.

My destroyers are flush to the bond line. 5-10mm from the bottom of the hull.

Johnny Africa

Site Supporter
This is what i did on my 08....the water hits the corner of the Gunwale & is forced down causing the ski to be unstable .....going left to right ,
Just ride your ski & pay attention to where the spray is going.

I think I may just try sanding off the lowest bottom edge of the sponsons to bring that edge up out of the water a quarter inch instead of flush with the bottom of the hull

Vumad

Super Hero, with a cape!
This is what i did on my 08....the water hits the corner of the Gunwale & is forced down causing the ski to be unstable .....going left to right ,
Just ride your ski & pay attention to where the spray is going.

That's not as much of an issue with the skis made before 2008.

I haven't seen you at the lake at all. You should run buoys with us. I believe if I were you and you were me, I'd be calling you a "wanker".

h2odesperado

Pin it to win it
When I put destroyers on my 03 I would get wicked chine walk at speed, enough to eventually buck me if I wasn't paying attention. I learned to just transfer weight farther back and it was fine.

Sent from my M470BSA using Tapatalk

Sparkplug

Site Supporter
Ihave destroyers also. And they chine walk bad at speed. Nothing a little time in the tray won't fix though. I can still hold it wot all ay.

image.jpg image.jpg Agree with Kevbo and Freakie ^ , plus positioning.. I mounted mine as hi as I could ( cm or 2) and it's good at hi speeds , but can still bight you if you get to far forward.. Overall think sponsons are a great upgrade. Carving is unbelievable compared to stock and I don't feel they have jeopardized any agility for the ski to be freestyled.

tor*p*do

Squarenose FTW
Site Supporter
I have sjlouis sponsons on my SN
and people tell me my ski rides like a buttefly with parkinsons
at high speed. others have trouble with it, I love the way it rides

Johnny Africa

Site Supporter
That's not as much of an issue with the skis made before 2008.

I haven't seen you at the lake at all. You should run buoys with us. I believe if I were you and you were me, I'd be calling you a "wanker".
Been a Wanker from from a early age...racing Dirtbikes....season is wrapping up...see ya at the Lake

Top Bottom