Super Jet Starting a winter build

I picked up this 96 out of the Austin area last August. It runs great, but I cold tell it was holding water. After opening the tray I found very wet foam. A previous owner had put in foot holds and some type of baffled drains (plastic) which did not work. After putting in a biodegradable, I see no reason to keep these. Also, the ski had an additional side port exhaust. Is this worth keeping? Last question is whether to go with ping pong balls or foam What are the pros and cons of pp balls?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 143
It's benn a while, but wanted to provide an update

I've had multiple projects come up since I started this build in February. I've been back at it the last few weeks. I painted the bottom today (black). Hope to get red on the rest of the ski by next week. Hope the pics get loaded correctly. I'm doing this on my iPhone. My son is the expert at doing these posts. His ski is the blue 06 superjet. Anyhow, this ski needed a lot of bodywork. I'll get the tray closed up (beer pong balls) onece I finish the paint.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 89
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 91
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 97
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 93
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 83
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 99
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 95

tor*p*do

Squarenose FTW
Site Supporter
you are going to hate that smooth painted bottom.
I did the same thing to my ski and it took several trips to the concrete ramp to beat up the bottom
and make it rideable. Smooth bottoms are squirrely as he!!.

full paint...rt side.jpgfull paint...left side.jpg

Couple shots with the hood and pole set on it. still have to put everything together. Also trying to source some cool Yamaha (black) decals for the hood area. Also, will be working on the tray soon. No plans to go back with footholds. As much as I want to think I'd be doing the rolls/flips, I'm 46 and enjoy flat water and more mild tricks. However, I love getting mad air when my son and I go to the coast, so I'm planning to integrate some full length indentions (around 3X4") along the tray wall so I can jam my feet in and hold the ski. I plan to fabricate something unless there's a better way to source it. feel free to share any ideas. I'm not jumping on this right away. Still need to order the glass/materials. Thanks.

You mean some tray length footholds like these?

179589_10151646698551942_304639276_n.jpg

Yes, i came from riding an x2 where i had a nice wide stance so the narrow tray of a sj cramped my style. When i refoamed i added these, i really like them i have a nice wide stance and i can tuck my feet in for stabs. <o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>
here's another picture for reference

p.s. sorry for the quality of the pictures the lighting in my basement is awful.

933960_10151647311346942_1841607111_n.jpg

Thanks for the response. The water bottles give a great reference. If you had to do it over, would you increase/decrease the size?

Yes, i came from riding an x2 where i had a nice wide stance so the narrow tray of a sj cramped my style. When i refoamed i added these, i really like them i have a nice wide stance and i can tuck my feet in for stabs. <o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>
here's another picture for reference

p.s. sorry for the quality of the pictures the lighting in my basement is awful.

933960_10151647311346942_1841607111_n.jpg

Haha acutally i had just finished turfing and they were wedged in there to hold the turf up as it dried. I wouldn't change a thing, i was a little worried i wouldn't like them but after riding it i love them. The other 3 guys i have let ride it have really liked it too. I can't take credit for the idea though there were at least 2 guys before me who have done it.

Haha acutally i had just finished turfing and they were wedged in there to hold the turf up as it dried. I wouldn't change a thing, i was a little worried i wouldn't like them but after riding it i love them. The other 3 guys i have let ride it have really liked it too. I can't take credit for the idea though there were at least 2 guys before me who have done it.

quick question on your exhaust. Did you have to rout it elsewhere to make room for the holds?

Right side with decals.jpg

Starting to get the decals in. Still need to finish the tray. Have to travel the next few days for work, but will get it done over the forth. Went out with my son today on our couch and his blue RN and it is having an electrical issue. He's already got a post on hear trying to figure it out . Regardless, we hope to get them both out next weekend.

Top Bottom