Quick end of season X-Jet build

yamanube

This Is The Way
Staff member
After collecting parts for over a year to assemble my Gen 1 BOB I just didn't have the spare cash I needed to finish it off. So I traded it to a local rider for his Waterdawg X-Jet and some cash and banged out the rest of the build in hopes to ride before winter.
The hull is one of the first Jeff ever built, it is a 2004 XJet, I have pretty much ridden with the original owner and the second owner since the ski was assembled and this being my second WDK hull I am well aware of the quirks and issues. I have no idea what the weight is on the hull but it is built like a tank, I don't really care I just want to ride.
The hull has already been refoamed with polystyrene but this winter I will be cutting the tray apart, cutting 4" off the back, widening the tray and lowering the gunwales. I also plan on either shortening the AC pole or picking up an RRP or Xmetal pole and possibly adding some nose rocker and some destroyers.

Here is a quick rundown of what's inside:
Stock pump, 13/17 Concord cut back with wetwolf cone
Home ported 61x cases, with home ported 64x cylinders at 84.5mm
ADA non girdled head, 36cc domes, SBN 44
FPP Type 4 dry pipe with high rev chamber.
Stock ignition with Zero lightened flywheel
H20 Flowbox Waterbox with Rad Dudes silicone hose
AC Racing -2 pole, blowsion spring, Cold Fusion Steering and RRP bars

IMAG1308.jpg
IMAG1313_1.jpg
IMAG1319.jpg

yamanube

This Is The Way
Staff member
Those are some of my favorite hulls if they have a sj bottom. Nice find!
I'm not sure what bottom deck it is, I know it has slight front sponsons/tubbies. I think it might have an extra large intake tract too but not sure, it looks to have an insert to bring it to an SJ size intake. I liked the way my REV rode so even if it's a REV bottom it should be a good ride.

yamanube

This Is The Way
Staff member
Took it out this morning and it ran awesome. Thanks to @Scraggly for the jetting I am dang close , maybe just a little fine tuning. The hull rides very nice but is a tank and feels heavy, but it beats sitting on my a ss. The engine feels strong and the spray fitting gives it a little more low end grunt and evens out the hit, it really shines in the midrange. Overall I'm pretty pumped about it, the hull fits my riding style, it's loose but controlable, very similar to the REV. This winter I'll chop the rear for sure.

Attachments

• IMAG1347.jpg
    IMAG1347.jpg
    110.5 KB · Views: 352
  • IMAG1353.jpg
    IMAG1353.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 126

OCD Solutions

Original, Clean and Dependable Solutions
Site Supporter
Vendor Account
That looks like you found a quick way to end a quick end of season build. I bet the pcs don't do it justice either.

yamanube

This Is The Way
Staff member
The ski actually has a giant pump cavity, you could see the front of it in front of the bulkhead in the bilge. There was an insert glued in that was too thin in spots and came apart. I have been scraping, prying and pealing for the past hour or two. This is where I stopped.

Attachments

• IMAG1362.jpg
    IMAG1362.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 107
  • IMAG1363.jpg
    IMAG1363.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 99
  • IMAG1365.jpg
    IMAG1365.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 100
  • IMAG1370.jpg
    IMAG1370.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 101
  • IMAG1372.jpg
    IMAG1372.jpg
    107.4 KB · Views: 105
Last edited:

yamanube

This Is The Way
Staff member
This is what it looked like before. I rolled the dice and it came apart but there was a silver lining (by silver, I mean soggy foam, busted fiberglass and some glue)

Attachments

• IMAG1315.jpg
    IMAG1315.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 108
Last edited:

yamanube

This Is The Way
Staff member
Ill post back when I get it all cleaned up and back on the water. For now, it was really the only option, most of that stuffer was too thin and I didn't feel like doing any glasswork at this point. Do you remember if Jeff made inserts for the front of an intake grate on the larger pump cavity? I haven't gotten that far forward yet.

yamanube

This Is The Way
Staff member
After a few hours of chipping and peeling the fiberglass pump stuffer out of there I got as much of the glue out as possible and quickly sanded it down the best I could before getting bored. I have maybe 6 weeks left in my season so I didn't go crazy getting it finished off, just to the point were its ride able again. The glue didn't stick to the insert very well at all but stuck to the hull as it should so it was a lot of work to get to this point. I tossed a quick rattle can paint job over it just to make it a uniform color :) and took it out on the lake yesterday to test it. I can say that I didn't notice any negative effects over the previous inlet size, hull felt like it handled the same, I cannot comment on any increased hookup as it was windchop and whitecaps from a storm blowing in but overall I am happy with it. I didn't run an intake grate before and don't plan on running one in the future so this winter I plan on flipping the hull, sanding the cavity smooth and giving it a skim coat of epoxy and some fresh paint. It looks like junk but there seemed to be no cavitation from it or negative side effects of the rough surface.

IMAG1379.jpg

yamanube

This Is The Way
Staff member
So, I have had this out a handfull of times now in a few different conditions and have found an interesting side effect of the large intake tract. Only seems noticeable on glassy water but if you are just cruising, mid-throttle with no variance in the revs (not brapping it) the pump seems to randomly load up and actually push the rear of the ski up and the nose down. Definitely surprised me the first few times until I figured out what was going on, its not terrible and I rarely ride on glassy water and just cruise but definitely a negative. I haven't determined if I am going to try and do anything about it this winter or not, I might try and fill it in a bit but probably won't take it all the way back down to stock SJ size.

yamanube

This Is The Way
Staff member
Yeah, I'm not sure if that would even help. It only seems to happen the split second the water coming into the pump is moving faster than the impeller is turning and I think that would happen regardless of what pump I had. As long as I keep the throttle varied, the problem goes away.

Top Bottom