300/440/550 550sx Hull Modernization Build

Just got back from a vacation. Doing a little work on my 440 right now for another vacation since this project won't be done in time. I'll be back on this project in a week or so. Need to get it done by end of July!!

she's gonna hit 100lbs by the time the build is done! my initial guesstimates were a bit to conservative...

When you go through 2 gallons of resin, and 6 yards of 1708 + a whole bunch of other glass - the weight comes fairly easy.

Pros - it will be nearly bullet proof.

Cons - it will weigh more than it originally did (by about 15-20 lbs)

Had I made the hull from scratch and not utilize the cut away, reinforce later technique I do everywhere - it would be A LOT lighter!

Gonna try and get back to it this week!

I was busy riding this weekend! Decided that if I couldn't get my 550sx done I'd pretty up my pig of a 440!

IMAG0844.jpg

IMAG0843.jpg

She's an 88 - so I wanted to keep her RETRO!!

It looks really awesome in the sun! and for a rattle can job with an enamel clear coat sealer, it came out pretty well!

I also heeded the advice of the old racers on PWCtoday and removed my rear sponsons! WOW! This thing is alive now! everything they said it would help was true. It turns a lot harder now, tracks better in the rough, and to top it off I also made a set of racing sponsons with an appx 15 deg flair to them - these are the icing on the cake. it cuts in and carves nicely now. Having done this firsthand - it will help with design input for my 550's bond rail design.

My friend also got a go-pro for other activities but offered to hook it up to my ski if I made a mount. - really cool! Made a little tether and everything for it (which wasn't needed for the tame speeds of the 440 lol)

Here's a nice shot of the angle "look back" mounted on the pole pivot bracket.

nowaketurn.jpg

caseville9036

BLRider
I like the action shot in the no wake zone - priceless.............
I was busy riding this weekend! Decided that if I couldn't get my 550sx done I'd pretty up my pig of a 440!

IMAG0844.jpg

IMAG0843.jpg

She's an 88 - so I wanted to keep her RETRO!!

It looks really awesome in the sun! and for a rattle can job with an enamel clear coat sealer, it came out pretty well!

I also heeded the advice of the old racers on PWCtoday and removed my rear sponsons! WOW! This thing is alive now! everything they said it would help was true. It turns a lot harder now, tracks better in the rough, and to top it off I also made a set of racing sponsons with an appx 15 deg flair to them - these are the icing on the cake. it cuts in and carves nicely now. Having done this firsthand - it will help with design input for my 550's bond rail design.

My friend also got a go-pro for other activities but offered to hook it up to my ski if I made a mount. - really cool! Made a little tether and everything for it (which wasn't needed for the tame speeds of the 440 lol)

Here's a nice shot of the angle "look back" mounted on the pole pivot bracket.

nowaketurn.jpg

I love the roundel gas cap. Did you buy that or make it?

That's just a BMW hood ornament my friend gave me that I 5200'd to my original cap. Gives it that touch of class it was beckoning for. I also got new vinyl sticker's printed in the 90's Oakley font for the gunwales - "The Panty Dropper" lol.

Last edited:
I wish!...

Had to do some boring stuff like cleaning the work area so I could see the floor lol. I should be able to get the tubbies on and glassed over this weekend I hope - I'd also like to do the Chine mod at that time as well. Then next week I need to work on the new bond rails. - That should complete the glassing work. At that point I need to do some major sanding and light body filling in preperation for paint. I'm planning on doing a color similar to the HOK flourescent yellow above the bottom, and a liberal coat of white enamel for the bottom. I have flourescent orange powdercoat for accenting lined up for the pole bracket and pole and other bolt on :):):):).

Still need to fabricate the: pole bracket, pole, and footholds... Need to repair the waterbox. Need to reassemble the engine and E-Box. And I'm sure there are alot more items on that list!

In other news - it's literally hotter than balls here and just about as humid... and my 440's looking sexier by the hour, so I'll be riding it in the mean time probably cutting into this projects productivity level lol.

Joined this forum just for this thread and now to get a 550. This is some fiberglass skill. How do you know so much about it? Really like to be able to do this kind of work.

Thanks!

I honestly have learned everything I know about glassing by doing this project and liberally reading this and other PWC forums - as well as RC and car forums for stuff I couldn't find on here. I've tried to list everything I've done and the methods to do so if they were not listed on prior parts of the job.

The only other glassing I've ever done was to repair a kayak paddle with a cheap-o pepboy's kit. I did use 5min epoxy instead of the polyester resin on that though because I had it and didn't want to by the poly :):):):).

If you want to embark on a project like this - all I can say is go crazy with a saw-zall and build it back up from there! you'll pretty much be forced to lol - I was.

Have fun with the 550! I want to throw this engine in my 440 some day and get a built 650 engine for this hull to complete them as a set. But in all reality - don't do this! Just buy a superjet, square or round... who cares! - It's a short cut to a quality thrasher that this build may never even come close to!

Top Bottom