Single carb vs dual

I believe turbulence would caus. better atomization. Polishing intakes reduces torque in a lot of 4 stroke applications.

He's stating that DASA and XS aren't detuning for couch riders, but they still run duals. Not sure about the 61x, but I have a dual intake mani that came with a parts deal because he was getting out of the sport. He said he bought it because it was recommended by Art. I would think that means a 61x does well with duals. Obviously hearsay on my part.

Here's my dumb question of the day. Why can't you run a single carb on a 3 cylinder? You can run a single on a v6 four stroke.
As for couches with dasas , he was talking about stock boats from the factory . But yami made a raider with a 61x and kawi made a few sp couches and seapoo made single carbed 720's that ran all day long wot. every bit of tech back then was geared twords getting the rpm into the range thats efficient for the best pump performance. Although I believe the older 550's turned more rpms back in the day with single bn's.

If duals are the end all be all , why would dasa and others make a single carb mani?

Dual and single manis are about the same price so its just the cost of another carb which is about $250 new for a sbn ... which is chump change after spending 7K on a motor .... doesnt add up to me.

550/440

Maybe I'll get it all the way around NEXT time....
Actually it costs less for a dual carb intake. Lots of them used out there for cheap.

Hmm... I wonder why?

If you spent 7k on a motor, why would you limit yourself with a single carb? Fuel economy on a 1000cc motor?

Vumad

Super Hero, with a cape!
Here's my dumb question of the day. Why can't you run a single carb on a 3 cylinder? You can run a single on a v6 four stroke.

I absolutely do not know the answer to this, I'm just speculating here, but I know I've read about carburetors with multiple barrels. I *believe* this allows a single carburetor to function as multiple carburetors. A 4-cylinder would run off a 4-barrel and a V8 would run off 2 4-barrels. Again, I don't know anything about multiple barrel carburetors.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carburetor#Multiple_carburetor_barrels

Multiple carburetors can be mounted on a single engine, often with progressive linkages; two four-barrel carburetors (often referred to as "dual-quads") were frequently seen on high performance American V8s, and multiple two barrel carburetors are often now seen on very high performance engines. Large numbers of small carburetors have also been used (see photo), though this configuration can limit the maximum air flow through the engine due to the lack of a common plenum; with individual intake tracts, not all cylinders are drawing air at once as the engine's crankshaft rotates.[12]

Colombo Type 125 "Testa Rossa" engine in a 1961 Ferrari 250TR Spiderwith six Weber two-barrel carburetors inducting air through 12 air horns; one individually adjustable barrel for each cylinder.

Mike W

Infidel
Went down this road 10-12 years ago. Tried a Riva, ATP and DASA singles and the DASA was by far the best engineered. The Riva was ok, but it is list a Kawasaki single intake bolted to an adapter. The ATP worked but the carb set so low you have to buy a 1” spacer if you’re going to run a stock f/a. The DASA worked great and needed nothing extra to make anything work.

I bought a Novi 48 “freestyle” carb straight from Novi with the correct jetting specs. It was spot on right out of the box. The carb was great for freestyle but terrible for cruising. I went back to 38’s in the end because they have a more linear power curve and fit my riding style much better. The 48 had great bottom end but that was about it which is what made it a good FS carb.

Top Bottom