300/440/550 my 650sx hand pole??

hey i picked up an 650sx a while back an i just really started to get to know it. im having a blast! anyways my pole is a little loose because of the mounting holes? i guess they have been wallowed out im looking to just fix it quick an figured id sleeve it to tighten it up -just wondering if any1 has done this. -now my brother (who rides a 650sx also) put a crack his hand pole the other day so he switched it over from a parts ski we snagged cheap. although his og pole has a small crack (not straight threw) the mounting holes are mint -i know i can fix the crack but i was wondering if any1 has cut and shortened a stock pole i understand most aftermarket poles are 2 inches shorter an am looking to obtain this mod cheap. im really not looking to drop money on a new pole but i wouldnt mind learning more with fiberglass just wanna see if its been done or if it can be any help is appreciated
-Danny

Wilke

X2 stole my life
Theres no good way to shorten the stock pole. You'd have to cut out a section in the middle and then reattach it back together, unless you have good experience with reinforcing and fiberglassing, or at least have a backup pole in case you screw it up, I wouldn't try.

I went to the hardware store and got some washers to take some of the side slop out of mine, worked surprisingly well. Just remember to get stainless, or nylon like I did. Sleeving the mounting holes is a good idea as well.

i hear ya well i have a pole on right now so yea i have a back up an if any1 has done this before an has any tips that would be great I cant find 9/16 sleeves at my local hardware store so i gotta deal with the slop till i find them lol -as for the pole im really thinking about cutting it all i could think about today while i was out was how much better it would be shorter lol -does it really make that big of a differance??

Yes it makes a huge difference, especially on this ski that's already prone to porpoising. I never shortened the stock pole but rather swapped it for a roundnose pole and shortened it 6". It moved my center of gravity over the engine and gave me a lot more control. I don't know if you want me to get into details on the swap but it's not hard to do and is really easy to shorten.

Attachments

• 6457.jpg
    6457.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 158
  • 6456.jpg
    6456.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 208
details would be great i just picked up[ another 650 project so hopefully i can have do anything i want over the summer ----new ski is soo sick needs work an an engine rebuild but its all pjs parts and re routed rear exhaust! should be fun!

I went to the local scrap yard and bought some 1/4" stainless and made a pole bracket. Pretty easy really, just a lot of measuring with the pole sitting on the hood. I had a local custom welder weld it up for me. I run UMI steering with blowsions shortened sxr turn plate. You have to grind a little on the top of the pole to allow room for the steering cable and make a clip to hold it. I ended up cracking the pole down the side(even after glassing the first time) and then wrapped it with glass and carbon. The conversion isn't really difficult, just take your time and get the measurements right. I originally tried to use the stock bracket but it was too narrow and required grinding it out to the point that it was really weak to make the RN pole fit. You could probably get a SN conversion bracket (hazard bracket I think they're called) and make it fit with a little grinding and hole drilling.

Yes it makes a huge difference, especially on this ski that's already prone to porpoising. I never shortened the stock pole but rather swapped it for a roundnose pole and shortened it 6". It moved my center of gravity over the engine and gave me a lot more control. I don't know if you want me to get into details on the swap but it's not hard to do and is really easy to shorten
Can you send me pm on details?

Top Bottom