Help Choosing Rickter Hull and Setup, XFR vs XFS vs Edge

Hey JKMike,
how did you end this story with XFR. What did you finally decide? So what do you ride now, what setup? Please share your experiences. I am in the same dilemma as you.
Thanks in advance
Hey dude.

I ultimately decided to go with a full carbon XFR and I love it! As far as the hull goes the only things I would have done differently is I wish I had gone with Textreme instead of the standard carbon. And I am a little unhappy with how the custom colors came out, well the orange any ways. I wanted it to be a bright neon orange and was extremely explicit about that fact. But what I got was a darker rust like orange. So if you decide to go custom colors make sure you make them show you exactly what it will look like.

A couple other things to note is that the XFR is basically a Gen 1 XFS bottom hull so one big difference between the current XFS G2 hulls and the XFR is the intake tract / pump tunnel. The xfr still uses the original smaller pump tunnel rather than the new giant one on the XFS G2's. The one on the XFR is also the same one as they use on the edge. Idk if that even matters to you, but I was a little bummed when I found that out.

Also here is my build thread for the ski. https://www.x-h2o.com/threads/my-first-am-build-rickter-xfr-full-carbon.199245/

Oh yea if you do get an XFR or any Rickter thats not a competition hull you might want to drill a small hole in the back of the ski and pressure test the tray before you put it in the water, then just put a small stainless screw in the hole. Mine ended up having a bunch of leaks into the tray from the pump and rideplate mounts as well as a big hole under the exhaust tube inside the engine compartment. Rickter says they pressure test in their videos but I call bull poop on that one. Anyways, it will be a lot easier to fix any leaks before everything is wet.

Hope some of that help and if you have any other questions let me know. Also dont get me wrong even with the little issues I had I still love my XFR! It really is a great do it all hull!

Im in the same dilemma as Dude, ironically it doesn't really make a difference now I suppose. While Rise appears to have built on that platform, the Icon layup is significantly heavier as its a surf ski, plus their graphics look like sh*t compared to Rickters imo. Maybe they'll make an XFR equivalent with the firewall reinforcements already in place and a carbon core? In the interim, what ski's can still be bought with similar characteristics to an XFR? XScream Helium was held in high regard before they started cracking, dont know if that was ever resolved. Toby's T1 sounded versatile but I've never seen one. I had finally decided on the XFR and Rickter goes belly up lmao. I'd imagine TC will continue building the Rise platform being that they're Rickters?

Trevorbm

“Only full sends, we’ll fix it later”
Im in the same dilemma as Dude, ironically it doesn't really make a difference now I suppose. While Rise appears to have built on that platform, the Icon layup is significantly heavier as its a surf ski, plus their graphics look like sh*t compared to Rickters imo. Maybe they'll make an XFR equivalent with the firewall reinforcements already in place and a carbon core? In the interim, what ski's can still be bought with similar characteristics to an XFR? XScream Helium was held in high regard before they started cracking, dont know if that was ever resolved. Toby's T1 sounded versatile but I've never seen one. I had finally decided on the XFR and Rickter goes belly up lmao. I'd imagine TC will continue building the Rise platform being that they're Rickters?
Tigercraft m1 is a shorter hull that handles good. Both good in surf and flat water. That’s what I went with, also made in the USA! Available in carbon and fiberglass.

Last edited:

Sparkplug

Site Supporter
Any short hull that isn't incredibly heavy can be rode pretty much the same. It's just tray time and learning the ski. I could ride my old backie Chan pretty much the exact same as a I can ride my xfr. The xfr just isn't falling apart. And the backie maybe handled speed a tad better. But any hull with the pump sticking more than the entire nozzle out the back, is going to be able to spin or flip decently as long as you have the skill and motor. The small little changes like sponsons on the back only matter when you have the skill to make it matter. People used to SHRED bob1 and bob2 hulls. I never even put the sponsons on any of my rickter hulls. And I don't run rear footholds. It all boils down to tray time and actually riding the ski.

I'd wait for a xfr if it was me tho

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Top Bottom