Fuel tank bolted instead of strapped

I just got a new motor that will use a laydown pipe instead of the b-pipe, so I'm fitting everything in my hull and trying to figure out where to place the mounts for the straps for the fuel tank, pipe, etc. I started thinking, since I made an aluminum fuel tank, what's wrong with welding some tabs and bolting it directly to the hull instead of using rubber straps? Has anyone tried this or have a reason that it shouldn't be done? I'll be attaching the mounts with epoxy and carbon fiber and it would be easy to just bolt the tank right to them. It would totally prevent any movement.

yamanube

This Is The Way
Staff member
Not to say it won't work but consider the strength of the tabs you put on the tank along with the forces applied to 3-5 gallons of fuel sloshing around and any flex the hull might have. Even more so if you are flopping or pancaking tricks.

I would be afraid of the tank cracking eventually from stress.
I think that's my biggest concern

Not to say it won't work but consider the strength of the tabs you put on the tank along with the forces applied to 3-5 gallons of fuel sloshing around and any flex the hull might have. Even more so if you are flopping or pancaking tricks.
I'm not too worried about the tabs. I can make them as strong as I need. The tank on the other hand might get cracks in the walls. There will definitely be some flopping. I was thinking about having it on turf on the bottom of the tank, but would still need something to absorb shock. This might be more work than just strapping it.

Aluminum WILL crack unless the tank and mounting tabs are very heavy. A fiberglass tank sitting on the bottom can be much lighter and last forever.

mount some stainless eyes on the bottom of the hull by drilling from underneath the hull and using small countersunk bolts and nuts....then use a brap strap to hold the tank down nice and snug with some dyneema rope (kevlar)....use some 1 inch rubber underneath it so it has a nice nest to sit on.....I have dome this no issues for 7 years now....alu tank from our good friend Limitedslip.

Top Bottom