DVX/Helium alternative hood hook

Jcary85

Site Supporter
Hi There,
Anyone found a good alternative hood hook system that works on the XScream DVX/Helium? I've destroyed two hull side hooks and built two heavily reinforced ones (1/8" plate all the way across then 1/4" all the way across) and broken both of those. The hood side piece looks like its on its last leg too. Nothing against XScream (they are very helpful and seem to build a good ski/hull), but this hook hook system needs some improvement.

-Jordan

Joemelia09

Rowdy Joe
@Jcary85 I have also had many issues with hood latches on my dvx. You might need to shim up one side or the other to help take some stress off the hooks. I put a Jetmaniac hood ratchet strap kit on and the problem has seem to go away for me. Worth a try and added protection.

Jcary85

Site Supporter
@Jcary85 I have also had many issues with hood latches on my dvx. You might need to shim up one side or the other to help take some stress off the hooks. I put a Jetmaniac hood ratchet strap kit on and the problem has seem to go away for me. Worth a try and added protection.
Thanks Joe! Do you happen to have a picture of how you routed the strap?

Thanks Joe! Do you happen to have a picture of how you routed the strap?

Where are you breaking it? I have had some issues with the hood popping off of the hook (which terrifies me because I'm afraid of sinking the ski) but I ended up tightening up my adjustable hood latch and that problem seems to have stopped, but it's in there pretty tight now, so now I'm worried about breaking it!

Jcary85

Site Supporter
I do run an adjustable latch ands it’s adjusted all the way tight. It breaks at the two tiny hooks on the hull side. They start to bend in then snap off. It dawned on me I might just need to slot that bracket and move it towards the hood a bit. The metal rod sits pretty close to the edge of those little prongs.

Joemelia09

Rowdy Joe
Agree slotting will get it in the sweet spot. There is still gonna be a lot of pressure on those two tiny fingers. The hood ratchet strap helps take most of the load off of that. My current front hood hook has been good all summer, before I was getting a month and it was bending the fingers and they were worn thin. I hate a ratchet strap, but I watched a buddy of mine sink a ski cause the hood popped off. We all pretty much run a ratchet strap now lol.

Jcary85

Site Supporter
Agree slotting will get it in the sweet spot. There is still gonna be a lot of pressure on those two tiny fingers. The hood ratchet strap helps take most of the load off of that. My current front hood hook has been good all summer, before I was getting a month and it was bending the fingers and they were worn thin. I hate a ratchet strap, but I watched a buddy of mine sink a ski cause the hood popped off. We all pretty much run a ratchet strap now lol.

Did u bolt the ratchets to the dash? The ratchet on my havoc was a pain but at least the hood was never coming off!

Did u bolt the ratchets to the dash? The ratchet on my havoc was a pain but at least the hood was never coming off!

I was kind of wondering the same thing, if running both a strap and a latch, usually the ratchet goes on the dash where the latch goes, so how are you setting it up.

Top Bottom