Boswell Carb tuning

In my infinite stupidity I purchased "modded" sbn 46's and was able to track down what they are. Boswell energy systems. From what I can tell from my research they have a third "midrange" jet that has a hole straight into the bore that feeds from the highspeed circuit under the kidney valve. The bomb sight is slightly smaller in inner diameter and the supports are thinned up for better airflow. the inner bore is polished. There's an added nipple that should have a small length of hose and a pilot jet pushed on the end, for adjusting air mixture for something. When I received them the midrange jet was plugged and the air mixture nipple was jb welded over. I want to attempt to get these to work on my jm771 before pawning them off on another guy. I currently have them setup with 115 main, 120 low, and plugged midrange. Pop off is 22psi. It has a very large midrange hesitation before taking off. I'm going to try a 35 midrange jet and unplug the air mixture nipple and stuff a 30 pilot in there as well. I would also think by plugging the modified portion it would behave like a normal 46 so I can also try lowering the popoff to 15-16psi and see if that chips away at the bog. Any comments appreciated.

Attachments

• carb.jpg
    carb.jpg
    102.7 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_20210406_122704586.jpg
    IMG_20210406_122704586.jpg
    139.2 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_20210406_122714991.jpg
    IMG_20210406_122714991.jpg
    119.3 KB · Views: 26
Buy some bigger jets and get it worked out. Leave the air nipple plugged if it goes into the fuel metering side.

Turns out running on 1 1/2 cylinders would cause any carb to bog/hesitate. Engine issues are solved so I just purchased some replacement throttle valves. The ones in it are very worn on the edges and also has a hole drilled into it. I will try them out with everything plugged, so they should behave as a regular 46. The ski is running well with aftermarket dual 44's right now.

Top Bottom