Blowsion vs RRP Steering Discussion

I’m contemplating upgrading my steering systems after years of using the tried and true blowsion 7/8” bearing style steering systems, kinda like the old umi systems.

I have decided that I want to convert to a fat bar type steering and I see that both blowsion and rrp make full fat bar steering systems for roughly the same prices, but I’m looking for some specific information.

These steering a will be used in more of a race application instead of freestyle/free ride application.

These are the blowsion systems I have on all my rrp handlepoles right now:

I also see the blowsion Phat Clamp that fits on the steering systems I have already:

I also see the blowsion 1-1/8 steering system for sale:

RRP also makes a complete 1-1/8” steering system which looks similar to the blowsion system.

My questions:
Is the blowsion 7/8” system and the 1-1/8” system exactly the same except for the phat clamp being included with the 1-1/8” system? Are there any other differences between the two? Are the steering plates identical, the bearing mounts identical, Ect?

If I add the phat clamp to the 7/8” system, how comparable is it to the RRP system here:

I am mainly curious about the length from pivot point to where the bars mount on either system. Does anyone know this length for either of the systems above?

If you were in the market for new setups, which route would you choose based on the options above? It would appear that adding the phat clamp and new fat bars to my current systems would no doubt be the cheapest, but if the other systems offer some additional benefit I am overlooking them I will need to reconsider.

I haven’t really considered a true OVP setup yet but I see that RRP make a OVP setup that can also be adjusted to move the bars 5/8” back from true OVP. Is this setup the way to go over all the above options?

thanks in advance

It is my experience here, building / working on skis the RRP system is far superior to the Bloswion system.

The last ski I had here with a Blowsion system needed a rebuild. It is "Blowsion specific" tapered bearings, kind like a trailer wheel bearing. Difficult to replace the outer bearing race, and then of course Blowsion was out of the kits, and they were on backorder forever....... I ended up switching out the whole handle pole to a RRP, with RRP steering.

RRP parts are interchangeable with UMI, and others. VERY Common, all stainless parts available, easy to get and just better by design.....

Adding a "fat bar adapter" to your existing steer system really does nothing other than allow you to run a rider bar if that is what you want.

OVP is the way to go. This eliminates the handle bar side to side swing when turning, IMO making it feel and handle better.

Hope this helps.

i have a blowsion ovp steering setup with rrp riser bars. all in all its a decent setup, very quick steering response and easy to adjust. the only thing i dont like about it is that the tension nut and bolt come loose on occasion and once that happens my bars will flop side to side. my bearings and such are rusted and i have a rebuild kit. hopefully that will fix the issue. i have never used the rrp steerng so i couldnt comment on it. i do like the idea of a bushing style ovp setup and with the far bar so i could run mountain bike bars that have a slight rake in them. theyre more comfortable i think on your wrists.

One thing I would like to point out is that I am not talking about the Blowsion handlepole/OVP combination. I think both of you are referring to that setup unless I am mistaken.

I’m asking about running a fat bar setup using the existing 7/8 turnplate and the phat clamp versus either the RRP or the Blowsion fat bar type steering system.
I am running RRP handlepoles and do not see a need to change them, just update the steering.

Big Kahuna

Administrator
I want to be clear, the above is "My opinion". My opinions are based on 30 + years of real life building skis. NOT what I read on facebook, pwctoday, or even here for that matter. (No disrespect Big K. LOL)

Zig
Why you dragging me into this!!!!! LOL I am running the Thrust OVP on my Edge, Honestly it is the nicest I have ran. I have the ADA system also that I ran for years on my SJ and then Freak. It is a well designed setup. It takes a bit to get setup right, but once it is done, it is perfect. I keep thinking I may sell it.

I really like my ATP system. I have had it for many years and haven't had to do a single thing to it. Sealed bearing is definitely the way to go.... But I have also not used any of the newer systems on the market.

Update:
Just got off the phone with Blowsion and got my primary question answered.

Blowsion confirmed that their 1-1/8" steering and 7/8" steering are the SAME except for the Phat Clamp being included with the 1-1/8" system to run fat bars.
The distance from pivot point to bar mount is comparable between the Blowsion 1-1/8" system and the RRP standard fat bar system.
These systems still have the bars mounted noticeably further back than either the RRP X-Lite system or the Blowsion OVP system.

After weighing the pros and cons of each type I think the RRP X-Lite steering with 4* fat bars is the best route for me. I like that it is adjustable from true OVP to 5/8" back from true OVP.

One last question, are the RRP and Blowsion 4* fat bars basically identical? I see the Blowsion bars listed at 28" but no info for the RRP bars.
Does one bar have more room to fit switches and grips versus the other?

Thanks for the input!

Last edited:

Big Kahuna

Administrator
With the RRP if you have Trim, you may have to open up the inboard side of the start stop switch, or get the RRP Bar extenders (What I had to do) to move your grips out just a bid.

With the RRP if you have Trim, you may have to open up the inboard side of the start stop switch, or get the RRP Bar extenders (What I had to do) to move your grips out just a bid.

I found it this way as well Bk....

I’ll add i recently bought 2019/2020 RRP bars and was surprised to find they are wider than my earlier model

Top Bottom