BEST IMPELLER for a 1995 Yamaha FX-1 61x 701 engine with a single SBN44 carb with the original Factory Pipe made for the FX-1 ?

E350

Site Supporter
What is the BEST IMPELLER for a 1995 Yamaha FX-1 61x 701 engine with a single SBN44 carb with the original Factory Pipe made for the FX-1 ?

And what is the best impeller removal/installation tool/socket for this purpose?

Best of the worst? The problem is, it takes a lot of blade angle to get close to soaking up a 701s power below 7000rpm. High pitched impellers dont work very well on standups because inlet pressure is low. A low port 701 with a B-pipe works well with a 144 pump but is mismatched when driving a 122. As an example, we installed a high port 760 with a dry pipe in an FX1. It screamed and went fast but had no pull.

SUPERJET-113

GASKETS FOR CHAMP BRAP!
I had real good luck with a Solas Fx-1 YC-SC-I 17-23(big hub). It had great out of the hole power and good top speed. I was impressed with it actually. I had a poor mans B pipe and flame arrestors, everything else on engine was stock. I'm 6' 220 lbs. and it worked well.

I went through this same scenario, but I decided against the 122mm pump and I (and many others that have done this) have no regrets going with the Kawi 140mm pump swap. It would be so much better.

I have heard that the 650 is easier?
Any photos?
Thoughts?
The pics I posted are of the 650/X2 pump conversion. The green is what you’ll be grinding to make it fit. While you can do it without cutting open the tray , it’s usually best to open the tray, replace the water logged foam, the rotted water lines etc. , and build up the thickness of the pump tunnel prior to grinding to fit the pump.

The pics I posted are of the 650/X2 pump conversion. The green is what you’ll be grinding to make it fit. While you can do it without cutting open the tray , it’s usually best to open the tray, replace the water logged foam, the rotted water lines etc. , and build up the thickness of the pump tunnel prior to grinding to fit the pump.

Mike, what prop are you running in yours? It looks like a stock SXR800.

Mike, what prop are you running in yours? It looks like a stock SXR800.
Yes sir, stock SXR 800, set back 3mm. I tried a bunch of different props, solas and skats, whatever the flavor of the day was at the time (concords , skat swirls, different hub sizes) and pretty much always came back to the stocker SXR. Worked best for all around riding, surf , ripping across the bay, creeks. Seemed to me to be a higher quality prop, material wise.

E350

Site Supporter
My guess is that the stock SXR800 impeller will not fit into a stock FX-1 122mm pump?

Will it fit into a 144mm 650 pump?

Why did they make the 1994-1995 FX-1 with a 122mm pump?

According to the manual, even with the smaller pump the FX-1 is faster with the smaller pump than the 1994-1995 SN SJ with the larger pump .

Flash-FX

No Square..No Round..FX-1
Hmmm... I have allot to consider.

I do know that @Flash-FX and @FX1Dave / @wavewarrior are running the stock pump.

So, I may wait until I can ride as well as them before I mod the pump.
Sorry, No stock pump for me. I have been running a 144mm ,1" setback mag (Skat-Trak) for years. The prop ended up being a 16*/20* with my motor. The reduction nozzle is a Pro-Tek blaster max flow nozzle (un-machined bore diameter), with a Kawi X-2 trim nozzle setup. A must have. I actually alternate between 2 different stator sections, 12v alum & a 14V ti.

Flash-FX

No Square..No Round..FX-1
My guess is that the stock SXR800 impeller will not fit into a stock FX-1 122mm pump?

According to the manual, even with the smaller pump the FX-1 is faster with the smaller pump than the 1994-1995 SN SJ with the larger pump .
Q1- Correct, the stock SXR800 impeller will not fit into a stock FX-1 122mm pump? A SXR pump is 140mm
Q2-144mm will not fit a 650 (140mm) pump
Q3- Why did they make the 1994-1995 FX-1 with a 122mm pump? Because someone at Yamaha engineering was trying to copy and improve a Kawasaki 440/550 race boat. It didn't work. (Help from Scott Watkins that worked on the FX-1 development).
Q4- Don't believe everything you read....

Kawasaki 650-800 standup pumps are all 140mm. The FX1 was designed right before Kawasaki introduced their 750. At that moment in time, 550s were the dominant race boats. Most of those guys used 440 pumps with high rpm 550s. In 1991 the FX1 was an effort to upgrade the state of the art. In 1992 Kawasakis 750 made everything before it obsolete. The Superjet was around but it took a couple of years before Tubbies turned it into the winning race boat. Superjets always made better thrust and once everyone discovered they could roll one it became megapopular.

E350

Site Supporter
Flash-FX: I revisited your build thread. But didn't you install a 144mm pump not a 140mm pump?

Is the SXR800 pump 140mm? Oops! Answered by Kevbo above.

And hey all you guys who changed out your pump, do you have a used great impeller which will fit the stock FX-1 pump to sell me?

Top Bottom