Yamaha 760 Surf Build

I've got a Yamaha 760 from a GP760 that I'm thinking I'm going to build for my next 'Blaster. I've had fun building my Yamaha 1100 triple and my 61x for my other 'Blaster, so I'm going to try my luck with this 760 that's in my garage. I don't want to spend a fortune on it and I want it to hit hard down low and in the mid range for surf riding. Here's what I'm thinking so far for the build:

-I have a Factory B Mod pipe
-bore the cylinders for 85mm pistons

Who can port this engine for low and mid range punch? Jet Maniac, Judge Motorsports?

Should I have the cylinder decked?

Mill the stock head for higher compression?

Change the electronics out from a 61x or 62t?

If you guys could help me out with the build, I'd appreciate it.

VXSXH20

Sionis Industries
I just had this all done on my 760 64x I’ll be running a zeeltronic ignition and lightened flywheel. Cylinder ported, decked top of cylinder, Running 85mm wossner pistons. You can have the stock head cut for higher compression or run a Ada head. Endless options for carbs out there. Dual 38s work excellent as well as 44s. Finding a proper aftermarket exhaust manifold is rare. So you will have to run helicoils in your bolt holes to adapt back to a 61x m8 bolt diameter.

Other 760 gurus are Paul Lehr or TimZ of Zforce
Check them out. Good luck

Thanks for the help. I'm going to try and do this on the more inexpensive side, so I'll probably just have my stock head milled down for higher compression and I already have the stock 44's. I heard Jet Maniac will cut and match the 61x Factory B Pipe exhaust manifold to a 64x or 62T cylinder.

If you don't mind me asking, VXSXH20, how much did it cost to have your cylinders ported and decked and who did it for you? Also, do you expect this setup to make most of the power in the low to mid range?

VXSXH20

Sionis Industries
760s are known to be a dog on the lower end

Porting will improve the low combined with properly setup carbs will aid as well. To get the most out of that engine from low end pop to wot.. A zeeltronic programmable ignition will really wake the whole package up. Great flexibility when running higher compression than stock and different blends of fuel.

I had my cylinder and cases ported and machined by Erickson M&P. I will be running a FPP limited chamber on it with a 148 pump. I'll have to look back and see what I paid. It was on par with most every other builder I inquired with. Judge was the most expensive. If I had to do it all over again. I would go with Tim Zarnstorff or Paul Lehr. They really know those 64x well and their turn around time is much quicker.

Tim at Zforce was very busy and wasn't taking on much work at the time. he runs another business. He told me he'd be happy to do it but it would be a lengthy wait.

I believe Paul Lehr has 760 jugs to exchange out and will take yours if its in usable condition. Super helpful and awesome engine guru. I think he's your best bet.

Howard aka Blue, who does jetmaniacs machine work said he can do the 760 work. But he did not recommend it for what I was going to run. He much preferred a big bore 781 and said it would be better suited for my ski. ( I already have a 61x maniac 735 motor ) I had all 64x parts and wanted to use them instead of starting over again. That being said my 735 rips hard for what it is and I'm very pleased.

I have motors from several builders. All have their strengths and weaknesses. But its the quality and after sale support that really matters!. Good Luck

Top Bottom