X-Metal Adjustable Steering System Out-Of-The-Box Review

JGringo

When in doubt, Throttle-out.
So I decided to purchase the X-Metal Adjustable steering system and here is what I found...

To start off with, everything has really close tolerances. The screws that lock the plate to the bars actually have a slight "self-clearance" effect, but retains an extremely tight lock on everything. It sort of trips you out because you feel like your are scratching that excellent anodized color when you lock it down (and you do)...

The bars are a little longer than 25" wide. I ordered the non-knurled ends so the ODI grips would slide on and off easier.

The screws that are used in this assembly are actually a mix of Metric and Regular. The plate bolts use a 5mm Allen wrench and the steering cable mount uses a 7/64" Allen wrench... Thought this was odd, I figured they would have stuck with the same style screws throughout the assembly.

X-Metal provided me with a bushing for use with their pole and a bushing for use with an 'OEM' pole. The system as a whole does NOT fit an OEM Square Nose pole without modification of the pole. The reason it doesn't work is due to the plate bolts that lock the bars down actually scraping on the pole-mount face and do not allow the needle bearings to become flush with the pole's flat surface, thus ineffective. I do not know if it would fit a stock RN or any other pole...

Overall, seems like a solid product. Could use shallower bolts on the plate to allow for more universal use with poles, but then again it makes the user lean toward dropping the cash on their handlepole.

-Gringo

Here are some pictures:

Attachments

• IMG_0372.jpg
    IMG_0372.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 379
  • IMG_0373.jpg
    IMG_0373.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 351
  • IMG_0374.jpg
    IMG_0374.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 338
  • IMG_0375.jpg
    IMG_0375.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 334
  • IMG_0376.jpg
    IMG_0376.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 330
  • IMG_0377.jpg
    IMG_0377.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 335
  • IMG_0378.jpg
    IMG_0378.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 336
  • IMG_0380.jpg
    IMG_0380.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 360
  • IMG_0371.jpg
    IMG_0371.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 359
  • IMG_0370.jpg
    IMG_0370.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 371
Last edited:

AtomicPunk

Lifetime bans are AWESOME
Site Supporter
nice write up and pics.

This setup does work on an OEM RN pole. I did have to clearance (grind) just a nudge on the turn plate stops. They would rub the pole just a hair.

** Take your time setting up the steering pivot, get it just right for the amount of throw you want. Be sure to tighten it securely.

swapmeet

Brotastic
Yeah, I tried it on my wifes SN pole and found that it did not work. While the SN is a common boat, I don't think its their target demographic.

I switched my wifes ski over to a RN pole and installed the Xmetal steering.

Defintely get the non-knurled bars if you plan on running ODI locking grips. I got knurled ones and had to sand/grind the knurled part off to get the rings to slip over.

Good write up.

I always find that x-metal steering comes loose no matter how much loctite you use. Been double nutting it and that seems to work ok. Bars break easy and had a ski run away because no lanyard and when bars broke it pulled the throttle cable. But should have had a lanyard. More worried about smashing my face though.

I find straight bars leave your wrists at a vulnerable angle when steering for breaking on hard landings. Ive come close to it but never broke my wrist.

I find straight bars leave your wrists at a vulnerable angle when steering for breaking on hard landings. Ive come close to it but never broke my wrist.

Straight bars eliminate arm pump tho. Puts your forearms at a better angle and allows you to get your elbows out.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk

JGringo

When in doubt, Throttle-out.
I always find that x-metal steering comes loose no matter how much loctite you use. Been double nutting it and that seems to work ok. Bars break easy and had a ski run away because no lanyard and when bars broke it pulled the throttle cable. But should have had a lanyard. More worried about smashing my face though.

EDIT: Unless you have photos and an explanation of this "double nut" and issues with your bars breaking, stop putting false information on the internet. This is why I hate sites like PWCToday because of stupid comments that are just put out to get attention... If you are going to post, organize your thoughts first AND THEN post RELEVANT information... (Objective and personal opinions of situations that you put yourself in are considered irrelevant)

-Gringo

Last edited:
Yeah, I tried it on my wifes SN pole and found that it did not work. While the SN is a common boat, I don't think its their target demographic.

I switched my wifes ski over to a RN pole and installed the Xmetal steering.

Defintely get the non-knurled bars if you plan on running ODI locking grips. I got knurled ones and had to sand/grind the knurled part off to get the rings to slip over.

Good write up.
The Xmetal steering does work with the SN pole, you just need to modify it a little bit.

Thanks for the nice write up and great pics JGringo! I just busted my LTD pole too (why the heck didn't I read more reviews!) and now shopping for a new steering system to put on my Aura pole I got through Tigercraft. Your write up is very helpful and I dig your hot hands mod!

Sparkplug

Site Supporter
It works on a square nose. The bolts will self clearance just fine. It's just a square nose pole anyways. I've been running it for like 2 years on my beater. 10x better than the umi bearing steering I have on one of my other skis. I swear stock is best tho. Least amount of maintenance and who the hell is being held back by their steering bushing, or bearing.

JamesG

Site Supporter
I love the X Scream setup. Easily my favorite. Use a set screw on the steering pivot that attaches to the bars, trust me.

Top Bottom