Need to fix my roundnose hood

So when I bought this ski the previous owner had already dropped the hood onto a concrete floor. You can see where the corner is messed up in the first and second pic, this damage just continues to get worse the more I ride it (this damage is on the rear end of the hood). Also the front side has a mean crack that Im pretty sure is growing.

Every ride is just more and more damage to this thing, Im afraid it will sink it someday. Do you guys think this hood is repairable? Im worried that the damage in the corner extends past the seal lip and I don't think I have the skills to rebuild that lip and the skirt of the hood, looks ok on the backside of the damage though.

I work in aerospace shop, build parts out of prepreg but we have dry glass and resin for the odd repair that we are allowed to perform. Good vaccuum and all the bagging material anyone could ever want. Thinking about retiring the old girl for the winter and bringing this thing in to work on it.

I was thinking just cut out all the damage, scarf back to make an edge and then just lay up plies staggered one at a time. Then inject resin into the crack and wrap with a light glass.

I would also buy a new hood, was looking at wamiltons but dont want a lowered hood.

Attachments

• 20201021_092715.jpg
    20201021_092715.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 22
  • 20201021_092707.jpg
    20201021_092707.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 22
  • 20201021_092637.jpg
    20201021_092637.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 21
I think Im gonna go down that route. I commision a lot of the repairs we do at work, we wouldn't try to fix something this bad.

Thanks guys, found a few good looking hoods for cheap on ebay

Top Bottom