Midshaft Talk - Building, Rebuilding, SN vs. RN, etc.

So I have two complete mid shafts, one from a 93 sn and one from a waveraider. Can I use the 93 shaft in the raider housing? Basically making it a complete rn mid shaft (just a little weaker)?

Thanks

JetManiac

Stoked
Site Supporter
Vendor Account
So I have two complete mid shafts, one from a 93 sn and one from a waveraider. Can I use the 93 shaft in the raider housing? Basically making it a complete rn mid shaft (just a little weaker)?

Thanks

Yes, but the single rear seal in the raider housing should be replaced with the 2 rear SJ seals.

Shrivel

Requires therapy.
FYI, the intermediate shaft housing and bearings from a XL700 appears to be the same part as a RN SJ, The shaft is much longer and will have to be replaced with the shorter SJ shaft. I saved a bit of cash by buying one of these off of eBay for less than 40 bucks as opposed to the SJ intermediate shaft housing, which typically run much more.

JetManiac

Stoked
Site Supporter
Vendor Account
FYI, the intermediate shaft housing and bearings from a XL700 appears to be the same part as a RN SJ, The shaft is much longer and will have to be replaced with the shorter SJ shaft. I saved a bit of cash by buying one of these off of eBay for less than 40 bucks as opposed to the SJ intermediate shaft housing, which typically run much more.

The housing is the same, but the rear grase seals setup is different and should be changed for use in a superjet.

Shrivel

Requires therapy.
The housing is the same, but the rear grase seals setup is different and should be changed for use in a superjet.
Huh, it appears to vary by year for the XL700s - I just went and looked at my '02 XL700 and it has the newer 2-piece intermediate shaft housing like you are describing. The piece that I got supposedly came off a '99 XL700 and appears to be identical to the stock one on my RN SJ.

JetManiac

Stoked
Site Supporter
Vendor Account
Huh, it appears to vary by year for the XL700s - I just went and looked at my '02 XL700 and it has the newer 2-piece intermediate shaft housing like you are describing. The piece that I got supposedly came off a '99 XL700 and appears to be identical to the stock one on my RN SJ.

The XL midshaft housing is part 7 in this diagram. The part 5 does not exist in Superjets and Blasters. It seals the midshaft housing to the large pump tunnel directly, so eliminates water from the rear of the housing and Yamaha only used a single rear seal (part 13).

In a SuperJet or Blaster, however, the center of back of the midshaft housing is directly under water during use. Because of this water exposure, there are 2 rear seals in the back, both a single lipped one like in the XL, but also a sturdier double lipped seal designed for direct water exposure.

image.jpg

Shrivel

Requires therapy.
So, if I'm hearing you correctly, the seal setup on the housing on the right is not the correct one? The one on the left is my old one and the one on the right is the replacement and to my eyes they look identical. Even the inner bearings appeared identical prior to putting in the shaft.

IMG_20150611_000225.jpg

JetManiac

Stoked
Site Supporter
Vendor Account
So, if I'm hearing you correctly, the seal setup on the housing on the right is not the correct one? The one on the left is my old one and the one on the right is the replacement and to my eyes they look identical. Even the inner bearings appeared identical prior to putting in the shaft.

View attachment 279784

The old one on the left has the wrong seal in the rear. The one on the right has the correct seal in the rear, but you can't see if the inner seal is there with the shaft in place.

Top Bottom