Long girdle studs

waxhead

wannabe backflipper
Can you still buy the long girdle studs from ada. if not who does them
im not talking about the std 190 mm ones but the longer ones
thanks

VXSXH20

Sionis Industries
Jared, Perhaps incorporate a 10mm hex on the girdle shaft. So it can be held with a open end spanner wrench when torqueing the head nuts

Also, Maybe consider a 2 piece girdle stud like blowsion used to sell. Where the jug can still attach with the male thread into the cases. But has a female end so the long girdle bolt can come off with the head. Keeping the jug and base gasket intact.. Just a thought- Best of luck and thank you for your efforts and offerings. -Joe

waxhead

wannabe backflipper
Jared, Perhaps incorporate a 10mm hex on the girdle shaft. So it can be held with a open end spanner wrench when torqueing the head nuts

Also, Maybe consider a 2 piece girdle stud like blowsion used to sell. Where the jug can still attach with the male thread into the cases. But has a female end so the long girdle bolt can come off with the head. Keeping the jug and base gasket intact.. Just a thought- Best of luck and thank you for your efforts and offerings. -Joe
Yes I can get all those things done. Why did they stop doing that do you think ?? was it just because it was cheaper as studs ??

Yes I can get all those things done. Why did they stop doing that do you think ?? was it just because it was cheaper as studs ??
I want to say for some reason remembering....
IF you make it two pieces then it doesn't really sandwich the cylinder and can still crack because you are torquing the cylinder on the weak casting just like the stock bolts first with the bottom piece then the upper part of the long bolts hold the head. So basically it eliminates the purpose of the girdle in the first place.

VXSXH20

Sionis Industries
I cannot say why they stopped making them as far a blowsion or Ada. Im sure blowsion never made the 2 piece studs anyhow. I really liked them...
I'd imagine ADA just quit offering them overtime. I know there was someone not long ago looking for ADA superbore parts like domes and matching head shell. I believe ADA just said they no longer offered due to low demand. selling up what they had and there was no demand to run more ( shop time and labor to just stock a part that doesn't sell) I agree girdle studs are not as involved as a head kit or domes...

as far as your stroker cast surf moto... I really enjoy seeing these " vintage " parts resurfacing and guys building them back up to their potentials. I have totes full of vintage aftermarket parts at home. All because its missing a proprietary bracket or some custom hardware. Hard to find a kind soul anymore who will fab and cnc out a part we might need to knock the dust off these old pieces and have a period correct setup!

waxhead

wannabe backflipper
I want to say for some reason remembering....
IF you make it two pieces then it doesn't really sandwich the cylinder and can still crack because you are torquing the cylinder on the weak casting just like the stock bolts first with the bottom piece then the upper part of the long bolts hold the head. So basically it eliminates the purpose of the girdle in the first place.
Thats an interesting point. Im not sure if it does or it doesnt.
If you clamp the top to the girdle bolts and torque them up , is it connected or not. Im not really sure

My understanding is that you don't want to clamp the cylinder on the lower bosses because that is what the causes the cylinders to crack. So they came up with the girdle to basically allow the cylinder to float and the head sandwiches the cylinder between the cases and the head eliminating the stress on the lower cylinder boss and eliminating the cracking.

Now if you use a long threaded stud and use a nut or 2 piece bolt to tighten down the cylinder on the lower bosses and it is tighter than the head pushing down, haven't you eliminated the entire purpose of the girdle and put the clamping force back on the lower cylinder castings?

waxhead

wannabe backflipper
yeah I understand where you are at with this, i just thinking when do the two bolts become a solid. But then on a long stud there is no force on the cylinder I get that. I wonder if I can get it with a section half way down to make it easier to clamp down. or an allen key in the top to help you as some studs have as well

waxhead

wannabe backflipper
What about a two piece half length stud connected together by these?

What would be the advantage. Im just getting a price to make these now. We are trying to move into the freeride super-jet market

Top Bottom