How is everyone fixing worn motor mounts

How is everyone fixing these? I was thinking filling them solid would be best. Is it hard to align the motor once you do this? Any advice would be appreciated

Attachments

• 5EE4B324-C45D-4500-9618-CC31BBD03D9A.jpeg
    5EE4B324-C45D-4500-9618-CC31BBD03D9A.jpeg
    124.6 KB · Views: 136
  • 4384CC40-CACC-4AB8-B48E-68B4C622BB16.jpeg
    4384CC40-CACC-4AB8-B48E-68B4C622BB16.jpeg
    151.6 KB · Views: 140
How is everyone fixing these? I was thinking filling them solid would be best. Is it hard to align the motor once you do this? Any advice would be appreciated

More details would be good....

Normal practice is replace the mount but your situation sounds like hull mountings is worn shorter ???

smokeysevin

one man with a couch
I know the space around those mounts isn't abundant but can you get a straight edge and lay it flat across the mount then take a picture of it from 90 degrees out so we can see the gap?

Sean

Yup, add a couple washers to the bolt and make sure there isnt crap at the bottom of the threads keeping bolt from clamping the mount down. Align motor and youll be good to go. If insert is loose, pull it out, buy a new insert and gflex epoxy it in straight.
Sweet. Got this hull cheep and don’t wanna do a bunch of fiberglass work. Thanks a ton

Vumad

Super Hero, with a cape!
None of us are doing anything about it. Don't sweat it if the motor mount is secured properly. You should be shimming your motor anyway which will correct any issues with the spacing of the mount.

However,

If you have a compulsive need for a flat mounting surface, you could try to fix it with epoxy.

Get a flat piece of Aluminum or Polycarbonate with the same bolt pattern as the mount.
Put mold wax in the threads, wax the bolts and wax the metal plate.
Prep by sanding and acetone.
Put epoxy on it, either thickened with fumed silica or use JB weld.
Bolt the plate down, let cure.
Block sand the surface (if necessary) and use a dremmel or die grinder to remove any excess.

It's not necessary, but it answers the "repair" question the best I can.

Polycarbonate would be so you can see and abandon if it is failing, but it could flex so you risk causing a failure in the attempting to prevent one.

Top Bottom