How deep do skis sink?

MarkWalker

Site Supporter
And now the $20000. question. Is your ski better off with no foam or flotation so it sinks to the bottom and sits there. Or pack it with foam and noodles where it may stay suspended and float around a bit before it settles on the bottom? I guess it depends on what kind of water you ride in? (Surf, Lake, River ect.)

I wonder what a vapor hone would do to it, probably would give it more of a matte finish but not as much as like bead blasting would, wetsand and polish would shine it but a lot of elbow grease consumed in that process lol.

DylanS

Gorilla Smasher
And now the $20000. question. Is your ski better off with no foam or flotation so it sinks to the bottom and sits there. Or pack it with foam and noodles where it may stay suspended and float around a bit before it settles on the bottom? I guess it depends on what kind of water you ride in? (Surf, Lake, River ect.)
Not sure, if there wasn’t non stop issues with the ROV it would have been located fast. I think I lucked out big time. It worked out that it sunk like a rock. next time it happens I’m going with the ski so who ever pulls it up can have what’s left !

Thats not really a good either/or if the ski still sinks. These boats are sinking because no effort is being made to keep it from happening. The MFGs should offer foam as an option.

Sanoman

thecolorpurple
Site Supporter
As in neutral buoyancy.l just as soon let it sink straight down,as opposed to drifting.But l mostly ride on our local lakes.

SkiPro

Trim down for what!?!?!?
Started reading this then my phone died on page 6.. was great to come back once it charged to find out you got it back.. I think that’s everyone’s worst nightmare. I let my buddies girlfriend ride my phantom around on her knees and she flipped it maybe 50 yards from shore. She wasn’t strong enough to flip it back over so I swam like hell to get to it.. she couldn’t figure out the panic I was in.. needless to say she didn’t ride it again.

Finiahing up the glass and prepping for paint while waiting on Ed to finish my carbs for the 927.

Gotta put the pump and motor in. Put the pole back on then we should be ready to ride.

Damage to the glass was more extensive than it looked that's the reason for the nose job.

20220318_174719.jpg20220319_112437.jpg20220403_215346.jpg20220228_145605.jpg

Started reading this then my phone died on page 6.. was great to come back once it charged to find out you got it back.. I think that’s everyone’s worst nightmare. I let my buddies girlfriend ride my phantom around on her knees and she flipped it maybe 50 yards from shore. She wasn’t strong enough to flip it back over so I swam like hell to get to it.. she couldn’t figure out the panic I was in.. needless to say she didn’t ride it again.
This is exactly the reason why I dont let people ride my ski, Im beyond paranoid about situations like this where someone just wants to try your ski then boom it sinks, even if they have experience on seadoos or jetskis.

My go to is to tell them "You sink it, you buy it, and it was X amount by the way" 9/10 it will put them off when then find out the price, although one friend (who had only 1 year of seadoo spark experience) was like "yeah thats fine" so I explaned which way to roll it, if it rolled and told him "you know how easy these sink if you roll them right?" After talking about how easy itd be to sink it, he was quite put off with the idea that it could easily happen and never ended up riding it. Works for me lol.

The only people I let ride my ski are my freestyle friends (who know what to do in that situation) and they normally just want to ride there own skis.

I also never ride without atleast one friend with a ski close by to rescue mt if need be and never far frol the shore line.

Top Bottom