Fx1 144 conversion question

Okay. So I got a pretty torn up fx1 that came with a tom21 superjet 144 tunnel. How are people doing this conversion? I noticed the tom21 tunnel has superjet a rideplate recess on the side. Are people cutting more of the hull and utilizing a superjet rideplate? Or cutting more of the pump tunnel and using fx1 rideplate and keeping that 2nd channel all the way down? Setting the tunnel from the bottom or hull or thru the tray area?

This is where I’m at for reference.

Attachments

• 934727D2-C93C-42BF-A6B7-55C4A6681BDE.jpeg
    934727D2-C93C-42BF-A6B7-55C4A6681BDE.jpeg
    103.4 KB · Views: 54
  • 92124742-6BE5-4B66-9C9A-E419C6ADB2B9.jpeg
    92124742-6BE5-4B66-9C9A-E419C6ADB2B9.jpeg
    169.8 KB · Views: 53
  • C2A0C4FD-2378-4413-AD3E-2ED05A6BF6B9.jpeg
    C2A0C4FD-2378-4413-AD3E-2ED05A6BF6B9.jpeg
    131.1 KB · Views: 50
  • 1E0CF3BD-F3AD-4557-9A15-C22CD0009F2C.jpeg
    1E0CF3BD-F3AD-4557-9A15-C22CD0009F2C.jpeg
    179.5 KB · Views: 51

Flash-FX

No Square..No Round..FX-1
Hmmm.... Well making the ride plate and chines line up somewhat smoothly are definitely a challenge. But, drive line alignment is really important. You are going to have to juggle all the things at once to get it close. Probably start by mounting the pump and driveshaft to the new tunnel piece. Then with the help of a Cold Fusion Alignment tool, get things roughed in. The bulkhead angle on the FX is most likely different than whats on the SJ. Having the motor (or dummy motor) with some nice machined couplers will help too. You will find out if the bulkhead needs modification pretty quick once you get into it. Take your time, it's worth it.

Hmmm.... Well making the ride plate and chines line up somewhat smoothly are definitely a challenge. But, drive line alignment is really important. You are going to have to juggle all the things at once to get it close. Probably start by mounting the pump and driveshaft to the new tunnel piece. Then with the help of a Cold Fusion Alignment tool, get things roughed in. The bulkhead angle on the FX is most likely different than whats on the SJ. Having the motor (or dummy motor) with some nice machined couplers will help too. You will find out if the bulkhead needs modification pretty quick once you get into it. Take your time, it's worth it.
That’s my plan exactly. Hopefully my bulk head won’t need modification. If it helps I’m using a fx1 driveshaft.

hornedogg79

dodgin' bass boats
Not my work but hope this helps.
be8ec0718c1e262a68f6c9295fc72bdc.jpg

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

I did the Tom21 pump conversions on one of my Fx1’s and did not try to utilize a superjet ride plate. Like flash-fx said, the chines do not line up well enough. Use the original brackets for the ride plate. Also, I set everything up to utilize the Fx1 driveshaft. Hindsight, I would have set the entire pump section and intake tract 2 inches further back, so that it rides more like the F1pro or Tom21’s Fx1. I had the tray cut out to put a wide tray in so it was a little easier to move the section around, get it aligned and get the height correct. Then I used clamps to get it to stay while I glassed it in place. Lost the pictures of the process on my old phone, but take your time and be patient with the alignment process. That is the most crucial part.

I did the Tom21 pump conversions on one of my Fx1’s and did not try to utilize a superjet ride plate. Like flash-fx said, the chines do not line up well enough. Use the original brackets for the ride plate. Also, I set everything up to utilize the Fx1 driveshaft. Hindsight, I would have set the entire pump section and intake tract 2 inches further back, so that it rides more like the F1pro or Tom21’s Fx1. I had the tray cut out to put a wide tray in so it was a little easier to move the section around, get it aligned and get the height correct. Then I used clamps to get it to stay while I glassed it in place. Lost the pictures of the process on my old phone, but take your time and be patient with the alignment process. That is the most crucial part.
Hmm I hadn’t planned on doing the two inch set back. I may have to consider that. Mine will be rockered In the front, so I may get some extra pop from that

Flash-FX

No Square..No Round..FX-1
The FX-1 drive shafts are hard to find (have to be made). I used a 2005 SJ shaft, It's a little longer & easier to get. The mid shafts are also getting tough to get :(

hornedogg79

dodgin' bass boats
Hornedogg did this to his Rickter Killer FX1.
Uh oh. Rickter rider in here trying to learn about a real ski. Haha.
I love my 140 swapped ski but the f1pro I had was just on another level. It had a sj driveshaft and fx1 midshaft. Pump hanging 2in further out the back gave it so much leverage to spin/roll. If you use the fx1 driveshaft I assume the new bigger sj intake will be glassed in 2in further forward. Not sure how that will affect the ride but it could pull the nose down and cause it to plow a bit. Nozzle angle can fix that though. I preferred the 65v on my f1pro.

VXSXH20

Sionis Industries
I have a 140 kawi pump in my fx1 on a skat modded sxr prop and afterburner cone, pushed behind a ported 61x jetmaniac 735. Its a ripper and super reliable combo. It "feels" way lighter in my hands than a roundnose. My 122 pump shoe was destroyed upon removal. I initially was going to have it machined larger and try to taper it into a 144 wear ring. But That went south.. after I looked at the parts and cost to do the 144 ( I wanted a solas 144 + a hooker at the time ) It was much quicker and cheaper for me to go 140. JD ( Special FX ) talked me into it after attending wavedaze several years ago. I lowered my exhaust tube under the tray and copied frankies 180 degree foot hold/widetray. I also shortened the rear tray sides 2 inches to allow my heels to still ride the rear tray but keep my toes up under the holds. Its a awesome setup and I never bothered with foot straps once I got some time on it and really got to move around in the wide tray. Fx1s are awesome skis. I don't regret the 140 pump as the midshaft is eliminated. i have used both a JS 650 SX and plastic X2 nozzle setup on a fixed (threaded) trim bolt. It is nice to be able to reangle the trim of the nozzle for different places to ride. ( surf or river ). For what it is the ski is very capable for shredding the surf, lakes and river jumping. the tom21 sponsons made all the difference in how well it rides.

SBT sells the Midshaft for the fx1 if you want to stay Yamaha and go 144. Also, Look up SNLindustries or sasquatchcrap on here he can make Dshafts

https://www.shopsbt.com/jetski/yamaha-coupler-shaft-fx-1-61L-51323-01-00-1994-95.html

I have a 140 kawi pump in my fx1 on a skat modded sxr prop and afterburner cone, pushed behind a ported 61x jetmaniac 735. Its a ripper and super reliable combo. It "feels" way lighter in my hands than a roundnose. My 122 pump shoe was destroyed upon removal. I initially was going to have it machined larger and try to taper it into a 144 wear ring. But That went south.. after I looked at the parts and cost to do the 144 ( I wanted a solas 144 + a hooker at the time ) It was much quicker and cheaper for me to go 140. JD ( Special FX ) talked me into it after attending wavedaze several years ago. I lowered my exhaust tube under the tray and copied frankies 180 degree foot hold/widetray. I also shortened the rear tray sides 2 inches to allow my heels to still ride the rear tray but keep my toes up under the holds. Its a awesome setup and I never bothered with foot straps once I got some time on it and really got to move around in the wide tray. Fx1s are awesome skis. I don't regret the 140 pump as the midshaft is eliminated. i have used both a JS 650 SX and plastic X2 nozzle setup on a fixed (threaded) trim bolt. It is nice to be able to reangle the trim of the nozzle for different places to ride. ( surf or river ). For what it is the ski is very capable for shredding the surf, lakes and river jumping. the tom21 sponsons made all the difference in how well it rides.

SBT sells the Midshaft for the fx1 if you want to stay Yamaha and go 144. Also, Look up SNLindustries or sasquatchcrap on here he can make Dshafts

https://www.shopsbt.com/jetski/yamaha-coupler-shaft-fx-1-61L-51323-01-00-1994-95.html
I have a Yamaha fx1 mid a drive shaft I got from somedudeDonnie. I think I may need to do a build thread. Mine will have a front rocker and Tom21 tubbies as well.

I had cash in hand driving to nc and the guy stopped texting me. Next day he tried to start a bidding war so I told him I was out. Picked up something better a few days later.

The one with the blue hood? In nc?

Top Bottom